New member, rec's for saw?

Duncan R

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of the 261 but being honest the 271 might suit me just as well? Looking at Makita the 60cc saw seems quite expensive and maybe more saw than I need, what about the Makita 5121 as a viable alternative to the 261/271 should I go down the 50cc route? Still looking around at Echo etc. The Makita does seem like good value(£349 inc. delivered)......any input on this model?

I like the look of the 261 but being honest the 271 might suit me just as well? Looking at Makita the 60cc saw seems quite expensive and maybe more saw than I need, what about the Makita 5121 as a viable alternative to the 261/271 should I go down the 50cc route? Still looking around at Echo etc. The Makita does seem like good value(£349 inc. delivered)......any input on this model?

Edit: The Makita 6401 actually not that expensive (around £500), I misread the model/price I was looking at but still maybe too much saw for my needs.

MS231 is supplied with a carbide tipped chain and can't be file sharpened. Sure it lasts longer before needing a sharpen but then the chain needs a grinder.

Older version of MS261 is the MS260. Get a good one and it'll last you years of reliable cutting. But they're discontinued, so would have to be bought secondhand.

You've got a 4' length of ash - what diameter would that be. I know leylandi all seem to be large but about how large, (height, diameter)? And is the felled ash and leylandi the only trees/wood you have to contend with or are there others. Little point buying a big saw, if it'll only be used for five trees in total. Might be worth putting up with a slower cut and saving some money, than spending out and having a saw you'll only be using very ocassionally. So the MS261 could well be the saw for you.

Edited by TGB

MS231 is supplied with a carbide tipped chain and can't be file sharpened. Sure it lasts longer before needing a sharpen but then the chain needs a grinder.

Older version of MS261 is the MS260. Get a good one and it'll last you years of reliable cutting. But they're discontinued, so would have to be bought secondhand.

You've got a 4' length of ash - what diameter would that be. I know leylandi all seem to be large but about how large, (height, diameter)? And is the felled ash and leylandi the only trees/wood you have to contend with or are there others. Little point buying a big saw, if it'll only be used for five trees in total. Might be worth putting up with a slower cut and saving some money, than spending out and having a saw you'll only be using very ocassionally. So the MS261 could well be the saw for you.

Ash approx 15-16", Leylandi at a guess 12"...been standing there many years. Reference usage, I had a call the other day to take down two sizeable apple trees, every now and then I get the chance of various and have nearly 3 tonne of larch slats (approx' 18" x 3") stored on pallets at a mates that need cutting in half to fit in the burner....I made up a frame and cut approx' 60 or so at a time, there are thousands of them per tonne or so it seems...a little more power wouldn't go amiss doing those, it gets boring after a while. The 181 will do it but it feels a little low on power at times.

Husky 560xp, you can swap bar size without worrying about the tuning, they're fast, and have 2 year warranty all round.

As you're a non-pro user, I suggest using semi-chisel chain - it's more forgiving when you blunt the chain!

I also recommend using husky saws as there are husky direct staff who can offer (partially) useful advice on here ;) that's if spud is busy... or on the first two days of a holiday :P

I'm amazed by the answers. The 560 is a professional 60cc saw costing £700 and designed to be used all day by professionals, felling trees. He wants to cut down the odd apple tree and slats for kindling and has a few small logs to cut up. The tiny stihl can do it but a slightly more powerful saw would be nicer to use. Anything above a 211 for a couple of hundred would be overkill. Spend the £500 difference on something you'll use.