Justifying a big saw.

Hotrod81

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you used an 880 all day?

No. The only people that want to use an 880 all day are 18 year old kids :001_tongue:

I have used it for over half a day and that was up in the tree then ringing up the butt. Deep joy to then pick up the teeny little lightweight 660 afterwards :biggrin:

I guess if 36" occasionally isn't quite enough then how about a 42" bar for the 660 from RobD, fit a skip chain and have Spud interfere with it? I'm guessing the oiler should just about keep up?

Regards,

Steve.

Some interesting feedback. The saw will be used for ringing up big lumps. Never considered makita before so will have a look. Did think about the skip chain but liking the idea of keeping 461 on a 20".

If I asked the wife for 2 saws I think she would possibly ring me up with them :lol:

She has been hinting at an eternity ring though...................

yep, i got mine from the states, 28" full skip,delivered £26.00, means if my big saw breaks down,i can run 28" on my 372 comfortably

:thumbup: Bought some JGX (LGX full skip) off Frawleys on Ebay , so I can run a 24" bar on my 365 - Should run with an 8 pin.

461 should run 30" of skip with an 8 pin and 36" of skip with a 7 pin.

Is it a lot slower cutting though I've never used one so am clueless

Skip chain works well, is not too rough for simple bucking, and it is not slow cutting.

28" skip square ground in PNW big leaf maple(a bit like horse chestnut), on an unported 372xp.

[ame]

[/ame]

Ported 044 with skip and a 25" bar(I used to have this on my 361):

[ame]

[/ame]

Yes - it does help clear those chips rather well. She is pulling 12,000 RPM+ in the cut there.

If I was to go for the big makita where is best to get one and are parts easy to come by?

would you consider a dolmar PS-9010 you can have 30'' 32'' 36'' and 42'' with skip chain if you go standard makita you will have DO33 mounts = bar limits the dolmar can come with D009 bar mounts and you can use any bar that fits the bigger husqvarna so the choice is endless

if you want any info please PM :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

would you consider a dolmar PS-9010 you can have 30'' 32'' 36'' and 42'' with skip chain if you go standard makita you will have DO33 mounts = bar limits the dolmar can come with D009 bar mounts and you can use any bar that fits the bigger husqvarna so the choice is endless

if you want any info please PM :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just as a note, d033 mounts are large or old Stihl mounts, but the d009 mounts have a much larger selection!

Wyk was your 361 ported?

[ame]

[/ame]

Much of the work was done by Wicked Work Saws, with a few tweaks by myself.

The scary thing is that is the exact same shirt I am wearing in the 372 video. Those videos are 5-6 years apart(though only uploaded 3 years apart). Well made shirt that. Still have it.

Edited by wyk