Safety - say it like it is...

Safety Steve

Lots of organisations now dont grit their paths around buildings because if people fall they could be found negligent for not doing a good enough job. So now they dont bother put up a sign saying ice slip hazard to cover arse.

or

Lots of organisations don't bother to grit their paths around buildings because of penny pinching, and hope they will get away with just putting up a sign saying ice slip hazard instead.

Sticking up a sign and taking no further action is not a demonstration that an organisation cares for the well-being of their staff is it?

(if they got sued, it would be a civil claim wouldn't it, so its their insurance companies arse they attempting to cover, not their own).

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The H&S thing is bollocks! On Monday I fitted a pump on a food production plant.... Rush job:001_rolleyes:..... They didn't want to have to tanker the waste away. I got there, got them up and running, no work permit required ( funny how H&S goes out the window when things are tits up)all good.:thumbup1:

Today, we've been kicked off site for not having the work permit signed off.

Glad I'm changing things.

dare I say that your contract was the testicular component of the equation and because it wasn't thorough this is the bit they kicked you in. Working in a food production plant in particular is a bit like the space station -procedure is king - no exceptions. Other wise we get real nuts with our Wheaties....

Now if you would kindly answer the question that led to this situation.... we might see where the problem is. Don't misunderstand me - this isn't a blame thing but very nicely flags what poor H&S management results in; lost contracts, frustrated contractors, embarrassed foreman, and delayed product.... When I say good safety pays I trust you now see how.

Haven't read this thread, seems to be about health and safety, of which there are none here, so, no comment, well maybe one or two! H&s strangulates workmen and I pity mainland contractors, if we had to abide to h&s out here we couldn't afford to live here, e.g a scaffolder is probably quite expensive, if he had to transport him, his gear, and his men to a west coast island, how dear would that be? Ridiculous!

We are all so different are we not?

Nope - the insides is all red, the wrapper on the outside sometimes changes colour and the shape varies but we are all the same on the inside.

The HSE requirements are quite reasonable in terms of RAMS . Its all gone wrong with individual companies interpretation and ass covering policies that ride off the back of it. We had a situation where a company we were contracting too had a problem with one of the tractor drivers certificates because the did not "recognise" it. After a lengthy argument with the site foreman a phone call was made to the HSE who explained to him that all they required of any company in the respect of machine drivers is they have had formal training. In theory your own companies certificates of in house training should be adequate .That is the bottom line,the rest is nothing to do with HSE but the interpretation within independant H&S outfits or companies . This carry on is not the way HSE intended things to be.

Bob

Thanks Bob - again you clearly have sight of the objectives and mechanisms involved in good H&S management. Sorry for the loss of 'street cred' but you go on the Croc Killer list :thumbup:

Thanks Kevin but you have really spoiled the conversation with reality:deal:.... I am guessing that you know your stuff as well - seems like the Croc's are o the retreat.... Bring on..... the Shark tank :thumbup:

Boat.JPG.97673af1ad8693a97d3167e635238ade.JPG

I think your gonna need a bigger ....... eerm....

Nope - the insides is all red, the wrapper on the outside sometimes changes colour and the shape varies but we are all the same on the inside.

Quite quite wrong Steve, we are merely "born equal in the eyes of the Lord", (or whatever God you worship, or not)

After that it is the result of both nature (genetic makeup) and nuture(education)

We are emphatically all different, to a greater or lesser degree.

Some are brighter.

Some are better physically coordinated.

Some are bother brighter and better coordinated.

Some are very intellectual but physically uncoordinated.

Some are unfortunately somewhere else on these spectra?(spectrums=spectra?)

Have I mentioned Kruger and Dunning recently?

regards,

Marcus

Quite quite wrong Steve, we are merely "born equal in the eyes of the Lord", (or whatever God you worship, or not)

After that it is the result of both nature (genetic makeup) and nuture(education)

We are emphatically all different, to a greater or lesser degree.

Some are brighter.

Some are better physically coordinated.

Some are bother brighter and better coordinated.

Some are very intellectual but physically uncoordinated.

Some are unfortunately somewhere else on these spectra?(spectrums=spectra?)

Have I mentioned Kruger and Dunning recently?

regards,

Marcus

Marcus - you started talking about WAH and the difference in 'how we do it here'. I am suggesting that where this is not done properly this WAH becomes groundwork - for the paramedics plus people like me. The pen pushers, the photographers, the solicitors the councillors etc etc.

When we see the 'work' failings of others invariably it is the same and people look very similar - big red mess. K&D refers to people who manage to stay conscious during their philosophical trials.

Once they become comatose or worse they are all the same - irrespective of faith, intellect bla bla bla.... very hurt, very sorry, very wishful that someone introduced them to safe practices 5 minutes before.... or occasionally not very anything....

“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.” Mark Twain.

The truth is the father , son and employer were wreckless ,their employer had failed in his duty to maintain the kit and log accidents. They should have also fined the "adequately trained workers" for using sub standard and dangerous kit, they knew the guards were off. Good job done by the HSE.

Bob