Correct qualifications to climb tree's?

frank j

For most people the route is to do the training to learn the methods and techniques the assessor will need to see, followed by test or practice under supervision then test

If you just hire a contract cutter in and have him teach you there is a risk of picking up short cuts and bad habbits. If I went for a test working at commercial pace I would fail and I have over 30 years experience. Cutting is one thing, passing the test, quite another.

Don't forget that there will also be a couple of H&S questions on site prep, risk assessment and the like

Yes you are right I know what u mean by picking up bad habbits but if I learn from another climber it will only be the basics which I need to learn because I really haven't done any climbing and I would like to know abit before I take the course

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you are right I know what u mean by picking up bad habbits but if I learn from another climber it will only be the basics which I need to learn because I really haven't done any climbing and I would like to know abit before I take the course

If you got me in to climb and did what I do on a test, you would fail and fail big, you need to show the assessor what's on the assessment schedule, not what goes on in the real world

If you got me in to climb and did what I do on a test, you would fail and fail big, you need to show the assessor what's on the assessment schedule, not what goes on in the real world

How long do these courses run for, will learn me from scratch as I don't know much?

I thought you needed 2 climbers minimum? If you are unqualified you may need 2 climbers on the job? I may be wrong, other lads on the site will know

Perhaps ideally, but if that were true of the real world then contract climbers for the most part would go bust.

No firm is going to sub in a contract climber when they have a trained climber on the team, just so they have a spare rescue climber.

How long do these courses run for, will learn me from scratch as I don't know much?

Well lets forget the climbing because you have to learn maintenance, cross cut and small felling (if memory serves) BEFORE you go on to getting your feet off the ground.

The first three units will take a week (give or take) with the assessment

Well lets forget the climbing because you have to learn maintenance, cross cut and small felling (if memory serves) BEFORE you go on to getting your feet off the ground.

The first three units will take a week (give or take) with the assessment

Right ok and after I get those 3 where do I go from there? ( sorry about all the useless questions just I haven't got a clue!)

So it's OK to have 1 climber and an unqualified ground on site?

It is by me. Depending on the job of course. Big trees, we tend to have all hands on deck. Smaller stuff, not so much.

Why don't you ask every subbie climber to raise their hands if they've climbed without a competent climber on the deck...

...This month.