Petrol or PTO splitter?

Charles Hey Arborist

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive run a home made splitter made from a back arm from a jcb for years. Has a waste compactor ram on it. It will split anything. Coupled up to a 1953 fordson major. I agree with what others have said about it all depends on the environment your to use it in. Petrol ones in my opinion seem a lot of money for what they are and the ones I've seen haven't been that powerful. If you can get a decent agricultural engineer an home made project may work out better. But again it depends on the arena you use it in.

"Second for Wallenstein..

A few mods and they are great splitters!" - Why buy a "great machine" that needs a few modifications? Why not buy a really great machine that works out of the box?

The thor I have I ended up with after loads of research. The petrol version was not that much more expensive than the pto version and meant I didnt have to tie up a tractor. Its fast and will bust pretty much anything.

Road tow is great if youre moving round loads of yards etc but can be more difficult to store (ie wont fit in a shed). I think i'd have had one if they did the magik 13t in road tow at the time but I would be worrying about building a new shed to store it in.

"Second for Wallenstein..

A few mods and they are great splitters!" - Why buy a "great machine" that needs a few modifications? Why not buy a really great machine that works out of the box?

The thor I have I ended up with after loads of research. The petrol version was not that much more expensive than the pto version and meant I didnt have to tie up a tractor. Its fast and will bust pretty much anything.

Road tow is great if youre moving round loads of yards etc but can be more difficult to store (ie wont fit in a shed). I think i'd have had one if they did the magik 13t in road tow at the time but I would be worrying about building a new shed to store it in.

Okay then..

Mods make things more efficient...

Does your Thor have single handed operation? Perhaps a pedal on the ground?

What about the height when your using it?! Perfect height right out of the box-- doubtful.. Depends on whether your 5ft or 6ft..

Perhaps a bigger sorting table so your not stood bent over picking up logs off the ground?

Mods don't need to have much to do with the components of the log splitter but may help you be more efficient at splitting logs.

And I've plenty space for the splitter, you don't so you have a more compact splitter. I split logs for many of my customers too so it suits me fine.

Wallenstein' even the small (£1900) ones are excellent splitters...there may different views on them, but you get what you pay for...

Each to their own.. I've no experience with Thor splitters, have you had a go with a Wallenstein? I have the raised height 30t road towable with added removable sorting table and it's great 👍

Hey, this wasnt meant to be a thor vs wallenstien argument.

the thor suited me after the market research I did at the apf etc and from chatting and using mates kit. the single handed out of the box leader system is great and needs no mods and i wanted to be able to split over a metre in length of billet.

yep, mods around the splitter like tables and racks etc are always part of the game. you're dead right.

i think if the magik came in towable when I bought it I might have gone towable and built a shed to put it in. it is a pita getting it on a trailer but it is pretty heavily built i guess.

ta

it is a pita getting it on a trailer but it is pretty heavily built i guess.

Was chatting to a guy who is thinking of buying the same thor as you. He mentioned building a third wheel assembly and attaching a small boat winch to it for such scenario's.