pork pie ??

pete23

Jane Grigsons book has a brill recipe also a cracking recipe for pickled beef. Worth buying as its a pretty cheap paperback if you can source one that is.

Saltpeter added gives it the pink look by the way

cheers, just googled jane grigson, looks like some very good recipes :001_smile

any chance you can remember the name of the book??? was it a French one?

tar, pete.

cheers, just googled jane grigson, looks like some very good recipes :001_smile

any chance you can remember the name of the book??? was it a French one?

tar, pete.

Its Jane Grigson's 'English food'

She has a daughter called Sophie Grigson who did have a series of cookery shows on tv - before you know who hit the TV and every one became a celebrity bleedin chef

Caz got a book from Sainsbury. She was surprised to see a section from an "expert" who spent a while with her old boss, Pete Mellors, learning what he did with his to win prizes!

Another thing to surprise me was the anchovy paste or fish essence that went in!

Always best to make your own 'processed' meat products. The quality of meat used in the supermarket pork pies / scotch eggs etc isn't really fit for a dog.

I bought a Santos meat mincer years ago and now make my own mince, burgers, meatballs, etc.

Not tried sausages yet as I've not got the casings and a stuffer yet, but will get round to it.

Reason why I stopped eating shop bought cack is a contractor I was working with years ago had done some work in the loft space of a large food factory who made amongst other things sausage meat for scotch eggs. They were working directly above the hopper which the 'meat' was being fed into along with lots of 'fillers' and additives.

Anyway, his mate put his foot through the ceiling and sent a load of roofing board debris, rat droppings and other nasties flying down into the hopper.

They rushed to the floor supervisor in a panic to tell him expecting him to stop the machine and have the hopper emptied.

"Ah, don't worry about that, it'll all get ground up and nobody will be able to tell!" :001_huh: