Working neglected woodland

I can see this turning in to one of the best threads on the entire site, and now in the best sub-forum on the entire site as well!

I'm pretty new to the world of arboriculture, was a full-time working farmer for almost thirty years but trees were something that you ignored until they got in your way and then you ripped them out and continued on!

Don't know what first sowed the seed in my head but took a notion concerning planting some trees 4 or 5 years ago. Didn't know what to plant, how to plant it, what it would do when it was planted, or even whether it was wise to plant trees on 8 acres of prime arable land. But I bought books, started to read, trawled the net for articles, etc, etc, and within a few months was hooked.

Started planting on new years day 2013 and by the beginning of March had just shy of 6000 trees in the ground. Split the area in to three different blocks, all seperated and serviced by pathways, all planted with a different idea in mind. But now I have the hard part, waiting for a woodland to flourish. This past autumn was actually the first time I started to get a feeling of the whole thing turning in to something, but I hope this year coming will see some proper activity.

Very different in some respects to the title of the thread, arguably the exact opposite, but one thing applies equally to both. There is no right or wrong, if you are going to work in it then work it according to what you want from it. I planted three blocks completely differently not knowing which would be the best, or the most "correct", but already I know that all they are is different. There is no one worse or better than the others. But what I would also say is very important is to have no regrets about doing something. As stated above, you can tumble something in a minute but you'll not put it back together. So take time and think about doing something but have no regrets once it's done or you'll just kill off all the pleasure you could have.

Good luck and I look forward to following the project on here. :001_smile:

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can see this turning in to one of the best threads on the entire site, and now in the best sub-forum on the entire site as well!

I'm pretty new to the world of arboriculture, was a full-time working farmer for almost thirty years but trees were something that you ignored until they got in your way and then you ripped them out and continued on!

Don't know what first sowed the seed in my head but took a notion concerning planting some trees 4 or 5 years ago. Didn't know what to plant, how to plant it, what it would do when it was planted, or even whether it was wise to plant trees on 8 acres of prime arable land. But I bought books, started to read, trawled the net for articles, etc, etc, and within a few months was hooked.

Started planting on new years day 2013 and by the beginning of March had just shy of 6000 trees in the ground. Split the area in to three different blocks, all seperated and serviced by pathways, all planted with a different idea in mind. But now I have the hard part, waiting for a woodland to flourish. This past autumn was actually the first time I started to get a feeling of the whole thing turning in to something, but I hope this year coming will see some proper activity.

Very different in some respects to the title of the thread, arguably the exact opposite, but one thing applies equally to both. There is no right or wrong, if you are going to work in it then work it according to what you want from it. I planted three blocks completely differently not knowing which would be the best, or the most "correct", but already I know that all they are is different. There is no one worse or better than the others. But what I would also say is very important is to have no regrets about doing something. As stated above, you can tumble something in a minute but you'll not put it back together. So take time and think about doing something but have no regrets once it's done or you'll just kill off all the pleasure you could have.

Good luck and I look forward to following the project on here. :001_smile:

Thanks for your post Wrsni,

Good to hear that you think this is turning into one of the best threads on the site:thumbup: Also its interesting to hear the point of view from someone who is essentially in the opposite position to myself. There is a wood near to me at a mueseum of country life (Gressenhall). It was planted in 2000, I think, and I have to say when I went and looked at it I was surprised at just how much of a 'real' wood it has become in such a short space of time. I've seen demonstartions of charcoal making and the like from groups of volunteers who help out with managing it. I had no idea that a woodland could become as established as it is in such a short space of time (in tree time that is!).

It seems to me that the other thing with planting trees is that its not a selfish act. The work that you do will benefit someone else way down the line, which has to be a wonderful thing. What I also like is the fact that 'my' wood has been untouched in fifteen years, and yet its just been happily doing its own thing all that time. Then whenever the inclination takes someone, like myself, its ready to be worked again, great:001_smile:

Well done to you for planting you wood :thumbup: I wish you all the best with it. As you say one thing I have learnt is that there is no right or wrong, it has to be worked in a way thats right for whoever is doing it. It would be good to see some pics of your eight acres if you have any?

Thanks again

Oops .... As I believe Vincent Thirkettle is Suffolk based, Ray Tabor ( traditional woodland crafts and the green wood encyclopaedia ) works/worked for Essex wildlife trust, the late, great Roger Deakin (Wildwood etc ): Suffolk. Oliver Rackham is south norfolk born and bred, I think Richard Maybe (Food for Free, Beechcombings ) lives somewhere on the Norfolk Suffolk border, Mark Cocker (Crow Country, Birds Brittanica, wit R Maybe), there are others I think!

I find it slightly ironic that it s one of the least wooded areas of the country, has vast areas of, relatively, sterile arable land but is a highly attractive habitat for nature/woody writers!😀

I'm with you now Timbernut :001_smile:,

I've just begun reading Wildwood (great so far) and I've read Thurkettle's book (excellent). I've also met him and had a look at the wood he's a custodian of, its out Thetford way, Norfolk I'm pretty sure.

My wifes's family are from Cumbria, so two or three times a year we drive back home from a trip up North. We go down the A1 and A17. If you arrive in Norfolk that way you travel through The Fens, which really is a landscape that is an aquired taste. Once you get past King's Lynn the countryside is much more varied than you'd imagine. I'm guessing you're not from this part of the world?

In terms of East Anglia being a haven for writers that could be because we have a vibrant arts scene. I'm a photographer myself and my brother-in-law a wildlife artist, there are loads of us 'arty' types around here:001_smile:

"What I also like is the fact that 'my' wood has been untouched in fifteen years, and yet its just been happily doing its own thing all that time. "

Interesting observation. When I first bought my wood it was neglected like yours. I gradually realised that there were many different directions I could take, all of them valid. Being a bit bigger, I have taken different approaches in different areas, eg coppice hazel, larch plantation, etc.

I love the way that if I dropped down dead or stopped working there for a few years, it would just carry on blithely without me. Its like a super tanker on auto pilot. So I can steer and adjust it in one direction gradually but it has a huge inertia of its own.

I guess I really like the sense of being a custodian of it but not really owning it.

Interesting you saying how "woodlike" the new bits you visited were. When you get into woodland more you may find that you can see and appreciate the differences and understand why ancient woodland eg pre 1600 is so special. You can look after it but you can't make it.

"What I also like is the fact that 'my' wood has been untouched in fifteen years, and yet its just been happily doing its own thing all that time. "

Interesting observation. When I first bought my wood it was neglected like yours. I gradually realised that there were many different directions I could take, all of them valid. Being a bit bigger, I have taken different approaches in different areas, eg coppice hazel, larch plantation, etc.

I love the way that if I dropped down dead or stopped working there for a few years, it would just carry on blithely without me. Its like a super tanker on auto pilot. So I can steer and adjust it in one direction gradually but it has a huge inertia of its own.

I guess I really like the sense of being a custodian of it but not really owning it.

Interesting you saying how "woodlike" the new bits you visited were. When you get into woodland more you may find that you can see and appreciate the differences and understand why ancient woodland eg pre 1600 is so special. You can look after it but you can't make it.

Great post!

I agree with The Village Idiot, great post Woodguy,

I'm beginning to understand the idea of being a 'custodian', I like that notion. With age I've also developed a respect for the work my Grandad did. To me its interesting that fifteen years after he died I can benefit from something he began maybe forty years ago. Again, if I chose to just leave the wood as it is then in another forty years my kids could go do something with it, it would still be there, possibly better than it is now. I like the idea of beginning something that will endure.

When I get around to taking some pics you'll probably be surprised at the variation with a small wood. There are many different areas, each with their own distinct character. For example one area is very wet and boggy and planted with poplar, another very sandy and planted with pine, another close to inpenetrable blackthorn and so on. It really doesn't have an holistic identity, and I feel thats probably all to the good.

I'm sure that you're right about developing an appreciation for ancient woodland. I've not sent much time in such places to be honest, so know very little. One thing I have enjoyed recently is lifting my kids up into the branches of the old oak thats on the edge of my wood. As a youngster I spent many happy hours nestled in between the three great branches that form a convienient 'seat' just above the trunk (apologies if my terminology is shoddy). They loved sitting there looking out over the valley to the big 'white house', just as I had. That experience made me realise that I've changed hugely over the past 35 years but the tree, not much at all. At least not much that I can see. That gives you a whole new perspective on time an makes the idea of 'owning' trees odd I feel. I've only really taken out one lodged birch so far but I have decided now to put down the chainsaw and do some research and thinking. Theres really no hurry and as has already been said, you can't put the trees back together.

Edited by Two Acres