Working neglected woodland

If you pay the ecologist to collect data then any data is confidential and owned by you. There is no legal obligation to report rare species, pests or diseases. Some ecologists do have a clause that data can be released to 3rd parties but this is something to check.

Anyway,

If the wood is only 2 acres in size then it can't be much more than 30m from the centre to a woodland edge? I'd certainly go with the suggestion of the wheelbarrow. I do this occasionally (standard one contains about 0.1m3 of split wood) and you'll be surprised how much you can get out in a couple of hours.

If the gradient/terrain allows I'd consider putting in a gate and clearing a ride (or track) across the middle with somewhere to turn at the end. This will open up possibilities in the future.

Diversity is the key but if you are limited then oak, birch and willows harbour the most insect life (key for wildlife). I'd probably consider coppicing some of the sycamore as well.

Instead of going on an ID course I'd recommend buying the Collins guide to British Trees, should cover everything you need.

The leylandi are planted either side of what was originally a 'ride'. The intention was that they would form an avenue however they have not stuck to the plan! If I fell most of those I should get my ride back. I do think some tracks or paths are a neccessity for access. At the moment its a real ramble to move around and in the summer its a real struggle against the undergrowth.

Interesting that you mention the Collins guide, I do have it along with a guide published by Aura and another by Hamlyn. To be honest I've not found that any of them are really adequate. Either the photo of the tree is too distant, or its the wrong season, or you don't get all the info you need (pics in all seasons, bark, fruit, seeds, blossom etc.) Maybe thats just because I'm a novice but I reckon a stroll in the woods with someone who could actually explain what to look for could really help. I'm finding it difficult to understand what a Hornbeam looks like and also an Elm :confused1:Thats most likely because I've not seen a large live Elm nor a Hornbeam, at least to my knowledge. Probably too many years pre-woodburner when I was't paying enough attention.:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi 2 acres, I don't think you'd have to worry about grief from anyone ecology wise as you stated your grandad established the wood so it's not that old and is unlikely to have flora/fauna of national/local importance unless you have a pond etc in the wood or nearby which could hav great crested newts ( it would just mean taking care when moving cord that has been left to season ). If you havn't got a pond dig one, it's amazing how quickly it's ecosystem establishes with little help and your kids will love pond dipping for mini beasts! Sounds like anything you do will be if benefit.

Where in Norfolk are you? I'd be happy to come n hav a look if you like, being a fellow woodland owner and over 20 years of working lots of different woodland types/ages.

John

Hi Timbernut,

Yes, my Grandad established the wood. He died fifteen years ago (he was 87) and worked on the wood his whole retirement. I guess that would make the greater part of the wood anything up to 37 years old. Originally it was two meadows so the boundarys around those fields and between them contain potentially older trees. It also adjoins other woodland and on one edge is an ancient oak (sadly not mine). There is a 'pond'. Grandad was a farmer, he dug a drinking hole for his cows. Thats still there surrounded by some boggy land, so newts a 'maybe'.

Many thanksfor the offer to take a look :biggrin: I'll send you a pm later when I have more time.

If you can't tell an Elm from a Hornbeam (clue, one of them is dead), then you've got a steep learning curve. I would agree that a walk around from somebody knowledgeable would be a great start. A bit of a reading list (start with anything by Oliver Rackham) would also be invaluable.

If you can't tell an Elm from a Hornbeam (clue, one of them is dead), then you've got a steep learning curve. I would agree that a walk around from somebody knowledgeable would be a great start. A bit of a reading list (start with anything by Oliver Rackham) would also be invaluable.

You're right Woodyguy, it is a steep learning curve and theres a heck of a lot to learn. I only really became interested five years ago when I bought the cottage I'm in now and found it had a woodburner. Initially I was buying those orange nets of logs from the local garage :lol: Then I realised I had access to enough wood to supply myself, so started learning about firewood - acquiring that knowledge has occupied my attention until recently. I think I have a good understanding of that now - identifying tree species from logs isn't always easy though. From there I started wanting to maybe plant some saplings, to complete the circle and not just take out. I also realise I love being outdoors chopping firewood, its good work I think. Then I woke up to the work my Grandad had done and I feel I'd like to continue that rather than just let it fizzle out. I have to say I think Aarbtalk is a great website, I've learnt lots form it and arbtalkers are a patient and generous bunch - many thanks all for helping a novice, much appreciated. :thumbup:

He's right, you are in for a steep one, but don't believe everything you read on the internet. Elm is one of the commonest trees in the woods round me and is still quite common nationally. None of them ever get to any size before the beetle moves in though and they are all suckers.

A wheelbarrow is definitely the lowest cost extraction solution, and completely portable. Woodyguy's approach of letting 4' lengths dry for a bit will also help make everything easier to move around.

There is a trade-off though - each time you make a cut or a split the occupied volume increases, although of course you don't end up with more wood, it just takes up more space. I therefore wonder if it might be more efficient to cut the 4' lengths and let them dry, then take them to the edge of the wood where they are to be extracted from using an arb trolley, and set up a small 'processing area'. This would prevent the need for lugging your log horse around the woods, although you would need to think about what to put underfoot to prevent it from getting too muddy.

Btw, how big is the 'big dead elm' and does it look solid? That one may be worth milling.

Alec

What powers does an ecologist have then?

I've been doing ecological consultancy work for years and never realised I had the ability to impose restrictions...

... he comes, he does the job and he goes away. He can only advise, not dictate.

You should work for the NT. Next to office staff, they're gods.

He's right, you are in for a steep one, but don't believe everything you read on the internet. Elm is one of the commonest trees in the woods round me and is still quite common nationally. None of them ever get to any size before the beetle moves in though and they are all suckers.

Thanks for the advice Bren, you're right of course about the internet, I will keep that in mind. I do have quite a few saplings that I think are Elm suckers (I stand to be corrected). All not very big, some alive, many dead.

A wheelbarrow is definitely the lowest cost extraction solution, and completely portable. Woodyguy's approach of letting 4' lengths dry for a bit will also help make everything easier to move around.

There is a trade-off though - each time you make a cut or a split the occupied volume increases, although of course you don't end up with more wood, it just takes up more space. I therefore wonder if it might be more efficient to cut the 4' lengths and let them dry, then take them to the edge of the wood where they are to be extracted from using an arb trolley, and set up a small 'processing area'. This would prevent the need for lugging your log horse around the woods, although you would need to think about what to put underfoot to prevent it from getting too muddy.

Btw, how big is the 'big dead elm' and does it look solid? That one may be worth milling.

Alec

Thanks Agg221,

I like your idea of a processing area. I guess that would also have the benefit of minimising the disruption to wildlife that could be caused by working all over the place?

What I believe to be a 'big dead elm' is indeed solid. The bark is only just starting to come off in places, so I would guess its in good condition. As for size I'm not sure, I'll take a measure with me next time I'm in the wood. Its not massive but it is a good size - as a complete stab in the dark I'd say maybe 18 inch diameter.

Elm is one of the commonest trees in the woods round me and is still quite common nationally. None of them ever get to any size before the beetle moves in though.

Not quite true - see my current Avatar (and Graham's). There are the odd few survivors, some of which are interesting.

If the elm is around 18" diameter, with a clear length of around 6' or more, I would be inclined to fell it, see if it's sound, and if so consider milling it as it's an attractive timber.

Alec