£450-£650 chainsaw. Best VFM?

TurtleWoods72

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think once I'd come to my senses and realised it don't NEED a big pro saw like the 550XP / 365 I was admiring, the brief swung to a small, light 'flickable' to use motorcycle parlez, saw.

The sort of little fella you could leave in the boot of the car for some opportunistic wood that I tend to get offered.

I know it's probably a waste of money in all honesty. But for less than £150 for the little Dolmar it's a lot easier oil to swallow than £350 for the stihl MS150 or the £525 365.

Wouldn't my 46cc Makita weighing 5 kg be a little heavy for delicate carving work?

I think once I'd come to my senses and realised it don't NEED a big pro saw like the 550XP / 365 I was admiring, the brief swung to a small, light 'flickable' to use motorcycle parlez, saw.

The sort of little fella you could leave in the boot of the car for some opportunistic wood that I tend to get offered.

I know it's probably a waste of money in all honesty. But for less than £150 for the little Dolmar it's a lot easier oil to swallow than £350 for the stihl MS150 or the £525 365.

Wouldn't my 46cc Makita weighing 5 kg be a little heavy for delicate carving work?

No, it wouldn't be too heavy, unless you think 5kg is heavy? 10cc less isn't much lighter, only the 25cc saws are light enough to use all day.

I'm guessing you don't often come across the larger diameter timber? You may be better getting a 40-50cc saw if you want something better than what you have, otherwise there's no point in getting another saw.

I am so baffled now as to what I want or even need that I might just as we'll stick a pin in the garden machinery catalogue with my eyes closed lol! :)

I kind of avoided the MS171/181 when looking for my first saw because everyone said they were pants, so was looking at an MS231 at the time, when the. Makita was offered by the same dealer for about £100 less, and with more power.

I think I paid something like £280 for it brand new from a Makita dealer when the list price was over £600 inc vat.

In light of this, which offers best value/performance/build quality,

A) MS171

B) MS181

C) MS150 rear handle

D) Dolmar CS32

Is the 150 overpriced at £200 more than the Dolmar and almost that over the 171/181?

No, it wouldn't be too heavy, unless you think 5kg is heavy? 10cc less isn't much lighter, only the 25cc saws are light enough to use all day.

I'm guessing you don't often come across the larger diameter timber? You may be better getting a 40-50cc saw if you want something better than what you have, otherwise there's no point in getting another saw.

No you're right I don't 'do' big timber. Largest I've had to cut has been 12" stuff generally.

No you're right I don't 'do' big timber. Largest I've had to cut has been 12" stuff generally.

Then why fork out on a saw? You only need a homeowner saw, the husky 135, Stihl ms211, or whatever makita/dolmar equivalent is available! If you want bigger a 440/445, ms231/251 or mak/dolmar equivalent to what you have. Although a Stihl picco super chain is much more of a valuable upgrade to speed your cutting!

I am so baffled now as to what I want or even need that I might just as we'll stick a pin in the garden machinery catalogue with my eyes closed lol! :)

I kind of avoided the MS171/181 when looking for my first saw because everyone said they were pants, so was looking at an MS231 at the time, when the. Makita was offered by the same dealer for about £100 less, and with more power.

I think I paid something like £280 for it brand new from a Makita dealer when the list price was over £600 inc vat.

In light of this, which offers best value/performance/build quality,

A) MS171

B) MS181

C) MS150 rear handle

D) Dolmar CS32

Is the 150 overpriced at £200 more than the Dolmar and almost that over the 171/181?

that £150 is one of those one off deals probably its not a common price across the board i could get the saw wholesale for that price but not sell it at that price i have the PS-350sc here which is semi pro with a low kickback safety chain £199 + vat perfect for cutting up pallets and also light enough for a carving bar

cutting up pallets is'nt a job for a big saw thats my opinion :thumbup::thumbup: