Keyhole shoulder opp recovery

geoff

Had my first decent climb today, about 4 hours in the tree, nothing heavy just a bit of rigging in a medium oak, a couple of long angled limbs to scramble up.

Took me an hour to get some level of fluidity into my rope control & generally get into the zone, the shoulder was fine, much better mobility, & no sudden letting go as it was.

I'm feeling it a bit fitness wise, with a good warm tired feeling through all my top end, that will come good as I build muscle & get my feel for climbing again, I think now some rec climbs are in order to regain my mediocre abilities again.

So in all a success in the early stages, that is just such a great feeling after a year or so of suffering & being debilitated.

It feels like I've opened the door to see the sun shining in!:crazy:

Thanks to all that have contributed here, it has eased me along & held my expectations closer to reality.:thumbup1:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you take any supplement to aid your recovery Geoff?

I have just started taking GLC2000 last week. 1 week in and my shoulder feels a lot better, been keeping up with the rehab exercises and hopefully get it fully recovered.

I recon I have been on 70-90% recovered for the last 2 years. It still aches after a hard day of certain types of climbing... i.e. Cut and chuck.

Hi Rich, in a word no I didn't, I eat healthy most of the time, & scoffed plenty of oily fish, drank a lot of water, & kept my proteins up.

Outside of that I did the physio lessons for a month, then adopted my own, mainly no load mobility movements, then onto the rowing machine etc.

I did not use any pain relief as I wanted to feel it through the recovery, should have gone swimming but my Speedo's are a bit on the tight side nowadays, & not the height of fashion they once were when they looked good on me...:blushing:

I have been pottering about for a while, just things like decorating at home & building a camper van for the summer, but this is my first climb since the opp 7 weeks ago, I have 3 days next week climbing, & hope that will go well too.

Most of the work I have done since has not involved extending the arm out sideways or above myself, but after a few days sanding & varnishing in the roof & walls of the camper it felt good to go.

The last two weeks has made a big difference to the mobility & the warning pains subsided too.

Have you had your opp yet Luftwaffe?

Edited by geoff

I have been pottering about for a while, just things like decorating at home & building a camper van for the summer, but this is my first climb since the opp 7 weeks ago, I have 3 days next week climbing, & hope that will go well too.

Most of the work I have done since has not involved extending the arm out sideways or above myself, but after a few days sanding & varnishing in the roof & walls of the camper it felt good to go.

The last two weeks has made a big difference to the mobility & the warning pains subsided too.

Have you had your opp yet Luftwaffe?

No i haven't geoff, it was cancelled and no date set yet for the op. But my shoulder is better but not right, shoulder only hurts on certain angles like reaching behind my back etc, but it is better than it was, i am on two minds whether to have the op or not hoping it will right itself but perhaps thats wishfull thinking. Good to hear your recovery is golng well. :thumbup:

Great stuff dude! Glad to hear it's healing well for you!

With regards to Rich's question I started taking glucosamine sulphate, calcium and magnesium supplements a couple of weeks before my op, as well as a multi vitamin and obviously a good diet. Seems to have done well for me, and will certainly keep them up for the foreseeable future.

Just don't take a calcium supplement with iron rich foods/supplements as they inhibit calcium absorption.

I'm nearly 5 months post op now, will get the word on if I can start climbing again next month but all seems good, if a little stiff in the mornings. It'll come though!

All the best with your continued recovery fella!