RHI payments on Solar Drying

arboriculturist

Anybody doing any volume if firewood is going to be producing large amounts of tailings and off cuts log boilers are perfect for getting rid of these. I've not looked in to anything but log boilers. & for 16 grand for self contained system capable of getting green beech down to single fingers in less than 3 days it's a no brained for me.

Just need to get. Rid of 1.5 m3 of saw dust a day now any bright sparks got any ideas on that :sneaky2:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been busy - Thanks for the reply John.

Yes, solar tubes give enhanced RHI return, which is why I cannot fathom why more aren't adopting your installation - possibly because few have solar drying operational.

I am not sure if everyone grasps the concept that the RHI is what makes Solar very attractive and setup cost minimal compared with a chip boiler.

I am finding it hard to crunch the numbers when calculating the tube requirement for a 40ft insulated container.

Any pointers would be appreciated.:biggrin:

I started by using this Australian site and then just doubled the number of solar panels to allow for the difference in solar irradiance.

Solar Dryers Australia - world leading manufacturers of solar and gas kilns for timber drying

I started by using this Australian site and then just doubled the number of solar panels to allow for the difference in solar irradiance.

Solar Dryers Australia - world leading manufacturers of solar and gas kilns for timber drying

If John explained a little more regarding cost drying times equipment life span weather related performance it might get people taking notice of other forms of drying

If John explained a little more regarding cost drying times equipment life span weather related performance it might get people taking notice of other forms of drying

Sorry but its not going to happen. If you have a competitive edge the last thing you do is broadcast it to the nation especially when its in hard cash.

Anybody doing any volume if firewood is going to be producing large amounts of tailings and off cuts log boilers are perfect for getting rid of these. I've not looked in to anything but log boilers. & for 16 grand for self contained system capable of getting green beech down to single fingers in less than 3 days it's a no brained for me.

Just need to get. Rid of 1.5 m3 of saw dust a day now any bright sparks got any ideas on that :sneaky2:

How about sticking all the saw dust in one of those pellet making hoppers!!! Then you can sell the pellets aswell!!!

Sorry but its not going to happen. If you have a competitive edge the last thing you do is broadcast it to the nation especially when its in hard cash.

I'm not asking for in depth analysis John.

How long does a cycle take for drying firewood?

No real interest in chip as it's not our thing.

I'm not asking for in depth analysis John.

How long does a cycle take for drying firewood?

No real interest in chip as it's not our thing.

No problem with that. I calculated the size of my container on the basis that I process 5 IBC containers per day ie 6 m3 per day or 24 IBC's per week (knock off early on friday). I could do more but getting old and thats quite sufficient for a days work. Therefore 20 ft high cube container is sufficient for a weekly cycle. Aim is to quick dry in the kiln and finish off if need be in our conventional solar kilns.

No problem with that. I calculated the size of my container on the basis that I process 5 IBC containers per day ie 6 m3 per day or 24 IBC's per week (knock off early on friday). I could do more but getting old and thats quite sufficient for a days work. Therefore 20 ft high cube container is sufficient for a weekly cycle. Aim is to quick dry in the kiln and finish off if need be in our conventional solar kilns.

Generous of you to share. As solar is practically fully automated appeals to me and using the sun is the greatest benefit!

Is it a major hurdle getting the Accreditation for RHI having installed it yourself?

Also any good Solar Tube and ancillary suppliers you could recommend?

Much appreciated.

What make and size of boiler did you buy in the end?

I have heard good reports on those dedicated sawdust burners, especially with the quantities you are producing.

I know a few who add a few buckets in their batch boilers on RHI each time they re-fuel, seems to work well if you are sensible with quantity added,