Pros & cons to owning a tracked chipper

simonm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose as your Land Rover carrys about a wheelbarrow full of chip it makes little difference.:001_tongue:

Well it's about 4 cube actually and it's not a problem, lots of tip sites around my area or just leave on site and the climber I use has a Dyna we chip into. The pros of having a tracked chipper outweigh the cons. Tomorrows job for example, 50 meter drag if you have a tow behind or just wind the tracks in and track it in, chip staying.

That is my concern the weight! van will legally tow it but when its full of chip and or log! hmm, just looked through some previous jobs we have done and a few of them we could have left chip behind so not such an issue. Don't think there is a really good all rounder out there its a case of what machine best suits our needs... I can get my hands on a new timberwolf 190tftr at 30 grand tomorrow, do i wanna lay that out in 1 go??? Green plant are doing 0% finance on new machines but i reckon the lead time will be a few months away, when really we need the machine now.

Why not have a look at the forst tracked. We've got two of the road tows and a timberwolf 150 tracked and all admit if the forst had been around 18 months ago we would have got that on tracks over the 150.

We used to hire one off of a firm we share a yard with can't you hire one for a bit before committing?

Why not have a look at the forst tracked. We've got two of the road tows and a timberwolf 150 tracked and all admit if the forst had been around 18 months ago we would have got that on tracks over the 150.

We used to hire one off of a firm we share a yard with can't you hire one for a bit before committing?

I hate hiring m8 always seems like dead money, unless its something you never really need or use.

I used to have a tracked timberwolf, and on many jobs we wouldn,t have been without it- tracking along woodland paths, pulling the landy out of the mud, pulling trees over, into back gardens, most customers were happy to keep the chip (we mainly work in rural areas anyway) Happily filled up my landrover and towed the chipper too, plus the trailer is good for carrying additional tools once landrover was full with chip.

In short if all I did was tree work, id definiatly have one all over again,

Am going to purchase a new wheeled machine tho now just for the convenience of being able to take on more domestic tree work, the only draw back to the tracked machine (aside from the cost) was logistical problems on small driveways and if you were only doing a small job it was a bit off a faff having to tow the machine all that way/unload find somewhere to put trailer, do job and then repeat. But this is a very minor problem compared to the benefits.:thumbup1:

I used to have a tracked timberwolf, and on many jobs we wouldn,t have been without it- tracking along woodland paths, pulling the landy out of the mud, pulling trees over, into back gardens, most customers were happy to keep the chip (we mainly work in rural areas anyway) Happily filled up my landrover and towed the chipper too, plus the trailer is good for carrying additional tools once landrover was full with chip.

In short if all I did was tree work, id definiatly have one all over again,

Am going to purchase a new wheeled machine tho now just for the convenience of being able to take on more domestic tree work, the only draw back to the tracked machine (aside from the cost) was logistical problems on small driveways and if you were only doing a small job it was a bit off a faff having to tow the machine all that way/unload find somewhere to put trailer, do job and then repeat. But this is a very minor problem compared to the benefits.:thumbup1:

logistical problems on small driveways and if you were only doing a small job it was a bit off a faff having to tow the machine all that way/unload find somewhere to put trailer, do job and then repeat.

That's my thinking...

logistical problems on small driveways and if you were only doing a small job it was a bit off a faff having to tow the machine all that way/unload find somewhere to put trailer, do job and then repeat.

That's my thinking...

It's really not a problem, it seems your thinking of the smallest negatives instead of thinking of the massive pluses to having a tracked machine.