Spirafix ground anchors

AHPP

Depends on soil type.... grand for clay and such like the more stone the harder it is to use them....... adjacent to the weld will give,re weld them and run fingers of weld on down to help spread the shock..... always driven em with light sledge.......... very good in right setting...if you can get them in the ground they will hold....

I've got a Makita cordless drill with hammer setting but it's probably a bit light. I'm happy to turn them in with a tommy bar for how often I'll use them.

Need them for pulling over backleaning trees. Suffolk clay and sandy/chalky clay (good base for anchors I'd have thought?).

I've got a Makita cordless drill with hammer setting but it's probably a bit light. I'm happy to turn them in with a tommy bar for how often I'll use them.

Need them for pulling over backleaning trees. Suffolk clay and sandy/chalky clay (good base for anchors I'd have thought?).

I'd be VERY wary of using them for that purpose. Even the large screw in type might not be up to it- better a dig-in spade type. It's all about how much earth you can make the load try to push against.

I use anchors a lot, and you'd be surprised how little the type that you can install by hand will actually hold.

It would really spoil your day having one fail at the critical point, sending the tree back the way it was leaning and snapping the hinge leaving it to fall the wrong way with no gob.

Ha! I had typed just "pulling over trees" but put "backleaning" in at the last moment to excite people.

On a serious note, don't worry. I am cautious and systematic. I do appreciate the advice about the anchors. I thought screws would leave less mess than spades. Spades look like they drag and then need digging out.

So for limited and well-judged applications, screws will be fine? Fair?

how can i campy respond to this...:blushing:.. don't do it..... go buy a picket line ... a long perforated bit of steel that you drive pickets into.... they are a mod item ...you can string them together to get the purchase required.... spirofix are not the answer here in my opinion.... especially given their proclivity to breaking..... limited to maybe holding back leaning daffodils:thumbup:Nuff said.....