Advice on playing with wood..?

Klaymeb

Ahem :001_tongue:

I picked up a Living Woods magazine at the AA show and found myself drawn to a section about wooden spoon carving... since then I've had the urge to have a go but I'm literally a complete novice, besides a bit of wood turning.

I'd like to buy some basic tools to get me going (just starting with spoons for now, unless there's an easier "beginner shape"?) but being a broke apprentice I don't have much cash to splash... just wondered if anyone had any advice please? :001_smile:

I was thinking of buying these just to see if I take to it or not... what do we think? Camelot Outdoor Supplies, Frosts mora Carving 120 & crook 164 spoon carving kit

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Jen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem :001_tongue:

I picked up a Living Woods magazine at the AA show and found myself drawn to a section about wooden spoon carving... since then I've had the urge to have a go but I'm literally a complete novice, besides a bit of wood turning.

I'd like to buy some basic tools to get me going (just starting with spoons for now, unless there's an easier "beginner shape"?) but being a broke apprentice I don't have much cash to splash... just wondered if anyone had any advice please? :001_smile:

I was thinking of buying these just to see if I take to it or not... what do we think? Camelot Outdoor Supplies, Frosts mora Carving 120 & crook 164 spoon carving kit

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Jen

Hi Jen.

Spoons are a great way to start and bowls and cups are good too, the frosts knives and crook knives are very good tools, I've done loads of spoons they are good fun and they make good gifts.

Good woods to use are Birch and Hazel very easy to carve. curved bits of wood split in half make good shaped spoons if you remove the inner wood it wont split when drying out, or if you want a break leave it in an unopened plastic bag away from heat.

Hope this helps....

Simon.

Hi Jen.

Spoons are a great way to start and bowls and cups are good too, the frosts knives and crook knives are very good tools, I've done loads of spoons they are good fun and they make good gifts.

Good woods to use are Birch and Hazel very easy to carve. curved bits of wood split in half make good shaped spoons if you remove the inner wood it wont split when drying out, or if you want a break leave it in an unopened plastic bag away from heat.

Hope this helps....

Simon.

Ok thanks a lot Simon, I'll bear that in mind :001_smile: do you have any pictures of your carvings?

If you go Classic Hand Tools Limited - Flexcut Carving Knives These are the ones i use imo i find them better than the frosts ones, All i do is draw a spoon shape on a bit of wood and start carving. It takes alot of patients have fun:001_smile:

Cheers for the link Ian, they do look nice but I don't think they're quite as cheap as the other ones... I'll do a bit of research of both.

I can't wait to try it now, got me all excited :001_tongue: I'm such a kid

Bodger's Ask & Answer • Index page

bodgers forum! plenty of info

also a second vote for the encylopedia of green wood working a great book!

Haha, nice! A great place to ask my list of stupid questions I'm sure I'll create as I try it :biggrin:

Sounds like that book's worth getting, I'll have a look for it.