Hand cutters rates

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was jonsereds in those days, from memory feller was a 72cc and one used for snedding was 2065

Funny you should say that, I was running a Jonsered 630 when I was working on clear fell, for both felling and snedding. Amazingly good solid saw, it's a bit unreliable now but then it's about 19 year old.

I use a 560 and am doing 3 fills befor 9.30 and then 5 more befor 12 and then 7 befor 4 so that's 15 fills a day that's near 10 litters a day that's brashing and a couple of fills less doing outsiders working for forestry contractors have all my tickets all my own Ppe and my own petrol have to drive 150 mile round trip I don't understand how any one could do it for £100 a day I would give up if that was all you could get

I can easily see how it's possible to burn through 10ltr in a day. My MS880 whilst milling does about 15-16 minutes of cutting per tank. I think that's pretty much the same regardless of saw. So endless brashing and softwood snedding is likely to burn huge volumes of fuel as I doubt you'd get much more than 25 minutes per tank.

• 3 weeks later...
I use a 560 and am doing 3 fills befor 9.30 and then 5 more befor 12 and then 7 befor 4 so that's 15 fills a day that's near 10 litters a day that's brashing and a couple of fills less doing outsiders working for forestry contractors have all my tickets all my own Ppe and my own petrol have to drive 150 mile round trip I don't understand how any one could do it for £100 a day I would give up if that was all you could get

15 tanks should be more like 7.5 ltr on a 560 I think, no disrespect intended of course and if you hold one flat out you could easily knock out a tank in 20 min, I am just not sure why you would. I mean if I am cutting a rack through for a forwarder that's sitting on top of me then I would probably knock out a tank in 35 but only with no stacking and good trees.

I think handcutting rates for 8+ ton a day should be £100 and up depending on details.

You must have hole in your tank to be going through 15 tanks in a 8 hour day doing normal foreatry work, i get about 35 minutes to the tank felling outsiders with my 560 and get through 8 tanks a day, in 2m trees roughly about 20 ton a day. The omly way i hhave gone through more more fuel in the same time span is ringing up big hardwood buts where the saw is working hard constantly which comes to 12 to 13 tanks,

I normally do about a can a day on a harvesting site. Always have a jerry can about, so the fuel can gets brimmed from that in the morning. Some days you'll use all of it, some days you'll use a bit less.

I don't know what an "average" day is on a harvesting site. Some days I spend all day brashing, some days all day knocking over over-size insiders and taking a log off, some days all day felling and processing outsiders, some days felling stuff off steep slopes to the head, some days off-rooting blow for the machine to pull out and process while it fights its way in, some days can be a mix of things. Brashing is probably the most fuel intensive as its flat out.

Regards to rates, anyone capable of doing all these things productively, supplying own kit, PPE and fuel with the appropriate tickets and asking for less than £120 a day doesn't know their own worth. I'd laugh at anyone offering me £100 a day.

Softwood harvesting sites I'm referring to.

Edited by Spruce Pirate
Clarification