Hand cutters rates

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working with harvesters in Scottish borders turning your hand to brashing , windblow , felling banks machines can not reach,felling and sneding big outsiders , winching when needed, £130 -150 if your organised and a worker,, self employed but things are changing in the PAYE direction ,

Bang on Bella.. It's all on the slow up turn but just waiting for when it's gonna happen.? Factors in usefulness to the project is key for top end wages.. Said it much better than I. Lol. :thumbup1:

The big 40 just gone mate.

Tidy. Hope my body lasts til then.! Be a happy, shocked larry if it does.. Lid off to you sir.

Just you made it sound like your ancient :confused1: haha. 'In my day'. Lol

£60 for a rookie sounds fair. That green you'd probably need to supply everything kit wise .. Took a lad on for 10 hectre clearance, £70per., fresh out of college., Wasn't that long ago we decided to take a gamble with the 'Eager Beaver' and its paid off for him 2yrs later the lads still here., thank the stars.! :thumbup:

He was happy to be working let alone getting a wage., doing what he wanted n we got on well., he fit in with us just fine .. Bumped him up to £80- then £90.

Skill, persistence, punctuality and pure grit is rated highly in my book. Rates is still an easy way for the employee to benefit from pay rises, rather than a slow hourly surely.?

Edited by Drew87

Alot of big numbers being posted on here, but in my experience reality is a bit more down to earth. Short term jobs then £120s do exist, but realistically for longer term contracts (talking several months) a good competent cutter with EFAW, CS31&32 own saws etc registered self-employed £100 is the best you can hope for.

MEWP tickets dont have much use in commercial forestry... FMO's a different story but then that's not a cutters rate! :001_tt2:

Tidy. Hope my body lasts til then.! Be a happy, shocked larry if it does.. Lid off to you sir.

Just you made it sound like your ancient :confused1: haha. 'In my day'. Lol

Ha Ha! Yes it was pretty early in my working days. Fittest I've ever been. I've been working in landscaping and garden maintenance for years though, which is a bit easier on the body. Did my CS38 and 39 a few years ago and do smaller tree works though so I'm back to trees again.

The guys doing oversize etc behind harvesters up here are on £120 to £150. You need to know what you're doing and it's hard work, plus you'll use two gallon petrol a day

Do the lads doing the bigguns get the harvester to process the tops?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Not normally. they're usually too hairy and if not then too far apart to justify harvester trekking round site again, occasionally there will be pocket where just need felled an bottom log knocked off - harvesters can do a pretty big tree these days though.

... A token bit of pulp and then forwarder throws rest of head into his road is norm