PPE & Insurance (for employees/employers) your opinions?

Treeworld

This seems to arise in many threads posted in a general way. As I believe it under HSE guidelines if you are working for someone then they have a legal obligation to supply any PPE and training for the work you are to take on. So how would you guys out there that are employed stand if you had an accident wearing your own PPE and didn't have your own insurance?

From an employers POV do you allow your crew to wear own PPE and if so are they covered?

My understanding is.....if they WORK full time for you, your buy their statutory PPE self employed, they but their own?

Thats how I understand it to be...

Technically, all PPE should be regularly inspected as part of PUWER regs... by a competent person..... and so employees, be they employed or self employed should always have adequate PPE regardless of who supplies it, and as long as the correct PPE is in place and fit for purpose, the insurance companies should honour the policy, and the HSE will be happy too.

:confused1: why would a small outfit not be bothered?

I may be wrong but i assumed alot of small outfits consist of a climber who runs the business and a number of short term fairly casual 'groundies' with or without tickets and or PPE.

I agree, sometimes the smaller companies with the owner being a climber on site with a couple of qualified groundies are more in control of PPE and checks as they are on site generally undertaking the checks themselves.

As Masterh said providing you have the correct PPE and its been checked to see that its in full working order the HSE should not be concearned over the ownership, however the owner of the company has a legal obligation to supply correct PPE and inspect to ensure its in full servicable order.