Getting jobs

Paddy Magee

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paddy if what I hear about you is true, if you got your company name and number tattooed on your lower back I reckon it would the advertising equivalent of a blimp on New Year's Day in New York! :P..hope your well mate!

Lol well paddy how's things in Norway are you still in love

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

In my opinion there is good advertising and bad advertising, and not much in between. Keep it simple, don’t baffle them with lots and lots of ‘stuff’; this part of the business is to get them hooked, you can baffle them when you’re on site.

The following is, for me, the key areas of advertising, in order:

1. Vehicle sign writing – clean and concise; if you have a logo use it, but the important bit is your name and phone number. Remember that drivers abusing the speed limit, loud music etc can all be traced back to you, so get your boys’n’girls to drive carefully.

2. Matching, sign written worktops – a clean and presentable work force goes a long way; if your trousers are ripped to shreds what does that say about you…?

3. A good advert design – simple, to the point with your company name, phone number web address and email (I've tried the bar code scan thingy and it was useless).

The above advert can be used in village magazines and directories etc, but keep it the same; familiarity is key

4. A good, simple web page – use the Google words thingy/tag words (I use a web designer for this so pardon my ignorance on such matters)

5. Face book and twitter pages – all good, get as many followers as you can

6. On site information – we've used a sign reading ‘We would like to apologise for any noise and inconvenience caused’; then follow it up with your contact details. This shows that you have taken account of the neighbours

7. I've also used a system of generic letters reading ‘We’re currently working for your neighbour and would like to apologise for any noise and inconvenience, if you would like any help with your trees, please do not hesitate in contacting the office’; and post these to the 4 immediate neighbours before you start work.

8. Having someone to answer the phone – when my wife starting working for the business 6 years ago, our calls and subsequent booked appointments increased by 50%; and I put this totally down to the fact that there was someone to answer their call, not an answer machine. There are call-answering companies who can do this for you and email you with the contacts to call back when you’re back in the office.

Anyway, just my ramblings…….

In my opinion there is good advertising and bad advertising, and not much in between. Keep it simple, don’t baffle them with lots and lots of ‘stuff’; this part of the business is to get them hooked, you can baffle them when you’re on site.

The following is, for me, the key areas of advertising, in order:

1. Vehicle sign writing – clean and concise; if you have a logo use it, but the important bit is your name and phone number. Remember that drivers abusing the speed limit, loud music etc can all be traced back to you, so get your boys’n’girls to drive carefully.

2. Matching, sign written worktops – a clean and presentable work force goes a long way; if your trousers are ripped to shreds what does that say about you…?

3. A good advert design – simple, to the point with your company name, phone number web address and email (I've tried the bar code scan thingy and it was useless).

The above advert can be used in village magazines and directories etc, but keep it the same; familiarity is key

4. A good, simple web page – use the Google words thingy/tag words (I use a web designer for this so pardon my ignorance on such matters)

5. Face book and twitter pages – all good, get as many followers as you can

6. On site information – we've used a sign reading ‘We would like to apologise for any noise and inconvenience caused’; then follow it up with your contact details. This shows that you have taken account of the neighbours

7. I've also used a system of generic letters reading ‘We’re currently working for your neighbour and would like to apologise for any noise and inconvenience, if you would like any help with your trees, please do not hesitate in contacting the office’; and post these to the 4 immediate neighbours before you start work.

8. Having someone to answer the phone – when my wife starting working for the business 6 years ago, our calls and subsequent booked appointments increased by 50%; and I put this totally down to the fact that there was someone to answer their call, not an answer machine. There are call-answering companies who can do this for you and email you with the contacts to call back when you’re back in the office.

Anyway, just my ramblings…….

Interesting, thank you! I like the inconvenience sign! Might get one done, I've also tried a generic email letter to send round golf courses, estate agents etc etc