Question about delivered volume

aesmith

I understand, maybe I should explain why I ask. I know roughly how much we get through in terms of stacked volume, about 1.5 cu metre. What I'm not sure of is what sort of delivered volume would replace that, since I'd be ordering and paying by the volume it occupies in the dealer's vehicle, not by how much space it takes up once stacked.

As an aside, wouldn't it be better sold by weight, given that almost all dealers round here claim it's at or below 20% m/c?

Tony S

I bought some stacked crates of kiln dried in last winter.

I use 1 cu m bags for my own produced stock, when the bags are filled the sides stretch, I therefore think the volume contained when level full is about 1.2 cu m.

When I emptied a crate containing a stated 1.17 cu meters of stacked logs the volume loose was 1.6 cu m. I expanded cube bag and 2 barrow bags of .2 cube each.

A

But not everyone can weigh there logs before delivery so that's no good.

Yes, probably impractical and I was just thinking of an ideal world. The way I see it if the wood was all the same moisture content, you'd get pretty much the same heat out of a given weight whatever type the wood was. Whereas I imagine 1m3 of so-called hardwood would very different if it was Willow vs Ash.

Anyway thanks for the comments on loose vs stacked, that gives me an idea what we might have to order if my own supply doesn't keep up.

Tony S

Depends how neat you stack em n all!

We sell by cubic metre, that is described as loose! have only once had a grumpy old geezer complain that when he stacked it it was not 1 cubic metre.(I got a rude text!).

So I have always made a point of stating logs are sold in loose cubic metres.

If I am stacking, to make the biggest stack possible, I stack in the continental way and do layers in alternate directions.

Just out of interest I was told by someone that in France they do buy by 'Stacked' cubic metres, I have never come accross anyone in UK that does that.

What ever you do it will still be too expensive not dry enough the wrong species and can you deliver sunday afternoon if its not raining. I can remember one customer rang up to complain because he found 10 litres of small bits in a 2cu metre load. Then he piled up what he would accept and what he would not and demanded half his money back. We collected the lot and gave a full refund with a polite request to go somewhere else in future. Glad to be well out of it I feel for any one that deals with the general public I love sticking to the trade :thumbup: