LOLER homemade friction cords.

ChrisPlumpton

And new kit (PPE) does not have to be LOLER ed until six months...

Provided it has a CE mark. Unless your next inspection is due before, then all kit should be included

What that means is its not due a thorough inspection until its 6 months into service

All kit should be incorporated into your LOLER programme from day one, how are you going to make a weekly check otherwise?

I must hasten to warn that without being there and seeing the cord in person i cant really comment on your Specific circumstance but by all means PM me and if i'm in passing i might be able to give you some more conclusive advice free of charge. That said here's some comment you might find useful:

providing that climbing equipment is supplied to you with the relevant Certificate of Conformity it will not require a Thorough Examination under loler for either 6 months from first use or 12 months from purchase which ever comes sooner.

Most climbing equipment in arb is not supplied with a CoC so should be thoroughly examined before first use but lets just set that aside for now

Tracability, purchase date, proof of conformity, user instructions are all things that might help an examiner to make his/ decision during TE but are NOT necessarily Essential. All equipment must be clearly marked and individually identifiable.

What you have described does sound very odd, most examiners will mark the equipment for you at no extra cost, i certainly do and just because someone has wrote their own markings/ dates on their gear doesn't mean id change my decision from fail to pass! Knots / cutting your own cord have nothing to do with it assuming you've tied your knots correctly?

I very rarely find not being presented with any of the information above an issue when examining peoples kits and i cant think of many occasions in the last 9 years when it's meant i've failed some equipment, but occasionally someone presents some random cord with which i'm not familiar and i get them to fish out some papers or fail/ defer my decision on the cord. (I have had to untie incorrect knots which is rather worrying!) A visible serial number, a CE mark, PoP, CoC's etc make up a VERY small part of the picture for me.

Some examiners may have very limited knowledge of the wide range of equipment that is available and in use by arborists and its relative wear rates so have to rely on PoP Coc's etc much more heavily.

I recently re-examined a kit that a retailer had examined. The examiner had failed ALLOT of equipment that i found fit for purpose, 2 weeks had elapsed between the examinations and the kit had not been used or modified in any way during that time. Cynicists would say they failed it to sell more gear but i believe it was more due to the fact that the examiner didn't have the knowledge to confidently identify equipment or estimate with any certainty its/age/ rate of wear so clung on to those clean tangible bits of paper. It was ironic that they failed a factory spliced rope that they'd sold them as it wasn't a CE sticker'd splice!!! (these factory splices are VERY easy to identify with or without the associated sticker!

like i said at the top i cant comment on your circumstance without seeing the cord in question, it may be that i'd find your cord not FFP either BUT!! i certainly wouldn't change my mind because YOU'D put a mark on it :lol:

Edited by Loler UK
typo

Why are you buying your own kit?

As far as the chord goes, a batch number wont tell your LOLER inspector anything about age and dates. Just give the item an individual number and a date into service.

Next time you buy some, ask for a batch number if he really needs it.

allot of serial/ batch numbers include EXACTLY the date of manufacture you just need to know what you're looking for (14201034-b might mean item 34 laser'd by machine B on the 20th of july 2014.....obviously:confused1:), but that doesn't let you know the DoP obv'

ropes complient with EN1891 have to have the YoM on their internal indent ribbon, i should probably stop before is end some1 to sleep?:blushing:

allot of serial/ batch numbers include EXACTLY the date of manufacture you just need to know what you're looking for (14201034-b might mean item 34 laser'd by machine B on the 20th of july 2014.....obviously:confused1:), but that doesn't let you know the DoP obv'

ropes complient with EN1891 have to have the YoM on their internal indent ribbon, i should probably stop before is end some1 to sleep?:blushing:

Guess work, not what I would want to see

guess work? :laugh1:i didn't mean 'might mean' as in i don't know!:lol: i meant that 14201034-b is standard talk! i meant because its manufac' specific, one manufacture it might just be a none date related pin but another it IS a date specific code, i said obv' because it IS obvious to ME, that is what i'm paid to know, but its not obvious to most end users, perhaps it was to you?

it should be obvious with what i've said, join the dots........... someone?

PS they don't teach you this on the loler course but they do teach you to teach your self! doing lolers isn't about passing the nptc its about going out of your way to ensure you have the PTKE to examine as wider range of kit as possible.