Compact fowarder

CHC

Hello all. I am thinking of investing in either a compact forwarder or a compact tractor and timber trailer to either hire out on a self drive basis or with driver. Would this be some thing people would be interested in hiring. Just want to test the waters a bit. Would be based around Suffolk Norfolk and Essex and the surrounding counties.

how much steep ground work do you plan to do with it, and do you have the work to keep a dedicated forwarder (mini or otherwise) busy year round?

If the work was there steep or flat I would take it really. At the moment not much just seeing if there was some interest in it really before I went and got one

Alstor would certainly be of interest to hire, as would a small timber trailer (3 ton). I have an alpine tractor. There is a new round of grants coming up which could help with the cost.

Would you have any more information about the grants?? I

Apparently coming out in the new year, similar to last time - a farming and forestry improvement scheme. 40% grant available for dedicated forestry equipment(but obviously you have to have 100% and prove this as you have to buy the item first then claim your grant money back!!). Not sure you would get grant for compact tractor as could be used for other purposes. Apparently they will look favourably at applications that create jobs, are innovative and promote collaboration with other companies.

Probably best you email your forestry commission rep to register your interest and they then apparently help with application process.

Supposed to be coming in the new year. There is a presentation about them at the next Woodland Communication day at Horringer next month. PM me your email and I'll send you the details. Alternatively, if you are in contact with the omnipotent Gary Battell, send him a message.