50-60cc Chainsaw Comparison

Frett

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niko what's your love of outboard clutches? I personally find them a pita! .....

The major advantage with an outboard is that it puts the bar etc closer to the centre of mass, and makes it possible to make a more compact feeling and nimble powerhead. This has a major impact on the handling of the saws, paricularly when limbing etc. - which is very important to me. :001_smile:

Then there are less important advantages, as well as a couple of minor disadvantages.

The major advantage with an outboard is that it puts the bar etc closer to the centre of mass, and makes it possible to make a more compact feeling and nimble powerhead. This has a major impact on the handling of the saws, paricularly when limbing etc. - which is very important to me. :001_smile:

Then there are less important advantages, as well as a couple of minor disadvantages.

Minor disadvantages? I'd say maintenance is a major disadvantage! Personally I feel no difference in the handling.

But I would still choose the husky over the dolmar. I don't give a rats ass about the dolmar having more torque, nobody here cuts on the max torque band and the husky is faster! Yes, the standard set-up for the husky is crap, but that's easily remedied with a £20 part. It's also the most restricted 60cc saw on the market... But port it and it'll kill anything else! The dolmar may be £140 cheaper but it's more basic! And I'd rather spend the extra £140 on a machine that's always optimally tuned, can compensate for crap mix or an air leak! You've gotta ask yourself, innovator or borrower.

Minor disadvantages? I'd say maintenance is a major disadvantage! Personally I feel no difference in the handling.

But I would still choose the husky over the dolmar. I don't give a rats ass about the dolmar having more torque, nobody here cuts on the max torque band and the husky is faster! Yes, the standard set-up for the husky is crap, but that's easily remedied with a £20 part. It's also the most restricted 60cc saw on the market... But port it and it'll kill anything else! The dolmar may be £140 cheaper but it's more basic! And I'd rather spend the extra £140 on a machine that's always optimally tuned, can compensate for crap mix or an air leak! You've gotta ask yourself, innovator or borrower.

i think in months and years to come the 6100 frankensaw will become very popular much to alot of people's distaste dolmar have't gone overboard with the styling alot of people have said it's like the older 153 but you dont need to port or tune this saw its there ready to use it's reliable no fuss

i have had husky's off and on for years i bought a 560 in 2011 you cant beat the 560 and the 254 for sound :thumbup::thumbup:

dolmar have sold enough of the 6100 to warrant dropping the 6400 in europe