Wood chip for biomass

Charleton Chips

Your a brave man. I never give my figures out as you never know who may use it against you.

If anyones interested this research was done just down the road from me although I was a bit dubious of carrying out this type of research when the moors surrounding the test areas frequently burn during dry summers.

http://www.usewoodfuel.co.uk/media/409865/attachment159__1_.pdf

Brave? I dont think so but I hope I don't live to regret it. My thoughts were, we buy our wood in and everyone here must know the price of chipwood, moisture loss is easy and chipping costs are readily available. We don't sell chip and frequently mention that price when buying so I cannot see any secrets.

Not sure if this will prompt anyone to consider selling wood as chip instead of round but if they have dry wood to shift and want a quick return then would it be worth considering?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I chip brash for biomass I was wondering could slabwood be used. Also does anyone of the price some people pay for slabwood in the bundle also died it make better chip than brash.

Slab wood makes fairly good chip for biomass. Higher percentage of bark than round wood wood but it dries quicker. More susceptible to rain raising the MC of the finished product. Just make sure you have a reasonable chipper otherwise you can get long slithers going through the screen. Same as twigs from the brash. Probably better for G30 than G50 or G100 due to the smaller section to start, but you will get more fines.

Better than brash chip from my experience.

The problem with a high Bark content product is that a lot of Chip Boilers will not cope with the build up of Clinker unless they have chain and flight de-ashing.

So this is something you need to consider carefully if you wish to promote a Quality product to the end user and retain them in future.

If you are thinking to continue to supply a power station then brash and slab wood is fine.

Without doubt best quality chip comes from large round wood. However slab wood can produce reasonable chip when you screen it and remove the fines which will be a high percentage of bark. ( see above) Bit more labour involved but an improvement in quality. If you are aiming for G30 or G50 your chipper will have a big effect on quality so chose carefully if you need to buy one.

If you are thinking to continue to supply a power station then brash and slab wood is fine.

Without doubt best quality chip comes from large round wood. However slab wood can produce reasonable chip when you screen it and remove the fines which will be a high percentage of bark. ( see above) Bit more labour involved but an improvement in quality. If you are aiming for G30 or G50 your chipper will have a big effect on quality so chose carefully if you need to buy one.

me

Chipper will not be a problem as he uses the same Heizo as me although I dont know what size screen he uses.

me

Chipper will not be a problem as he uses the same Heizo as me although I dont know what size screen he uses.

I presume the shredder is just for contaminated wood then. If that is the case quantities and space permitting I think I would be inclined to keep the chipper and shredder outputs separate and sell to different markets. Vast difference in value.

I have kept to the quality market G30 spec with low MC and the chip never hits the deck so no problem with foreign bodies. With brash I find we need to grade out the fines. Best supply contracts are normally with local councils for schools etc but you never know about them unless you approach the council direct. Provide a quality product and they will snap your hand off as the big boys struggle with a consistent product.

The latest contracts have Stobarts are being paid off the meter for heat produced rather than by the load delivered. I think this might be a double edged sword for producers as, in theory, as long as it can turn the meter crap can now be put into the system but obviously the better the quality of the chip the more return Stobarts will get.

If the profit Stobarts make per load is now variable (i.e. the higher the quality of the chip will produce a better return on the meter per load delivered for the same transport costs), I wonder how this will pan out for suppliers. Anyone noticed any changes in Stobarts buying policy?