Vanguard 4x4 lawn mower

rowan lee

I have a large area to strim again (2 acres), long matted grass, rushes, etc. Took about 20hrs the last time but only really skimmed off this top to level things out.

Was thinking of hiring out something like this machine next time. Are they any good vs a decent 40-50cc strimmer. Video's online look impressive, but I want a real opinion. Will it be slow going, lots of clogging and unclogging, drinking gallons of petrol? Or could I really whizz through a 2 acre site of heavy matted grass in a day?

Cheers.:thumbup1:

eftuareg92evodx.gif.3b3d93186a50b993cb7a8f15c716924e.gif

I have a large area to strim again (2 acres), long matted grass, rushes, etc. Took about 20hrs the last time but only really skimmed off this top to level things out.

Was thinking of hiring out something like this machine next time. Are they any good vs a decent 40-50cc strimmer. Video's online look impressive, but I want a real opinion. Will it be slow going, lots of clogging and unclogging, drinking gallons of petrol? Or could I really whizz through a 2 acre site of heavy matted grass in a day?

Cheers.:thumbup1:

See if you can get an Orec rabbit mower where you are. Im not sure about the Vanguard you mention but the Orec has an 18hp Vanguard engine.

If you were in North Yorkshire I could demo ours.

check out this video.

[ame]

[/ame]

TB

Edited by bazbro
update links

We have some private contractors paid for by the council come round twice a year with one of those - might not be the exact same model but it looks identical. It copes with 3 ft grass and weeds no problem and is bloody fast too.

Only negative comment I would make is that it is not as good as a brush cutter; seems to trample a lot of material down and does not 'mulch' the material up as well as a brush cutter with mulching blade. Perhaps a second pass with the deck lowered a bit would improve it. TBH for finish and speed I think you are better of with a 30hp small tractor and flail mower but you can't easily get one of them in a mid size white van...

Anything with a seat and wheels will beat a strimmer hands down. I keep a slightly smaller patch down with an old Westwood ride on. I only use my big strimmer around the edges. The mower is ten times quicker and uses much less fuel. Once you have it under control then provided you can travel on the ground then no contest. I cut mine about once a month or 6 inches of growth max. Might be something to consider for the large smoothish areas. No more money than a good strimmer and so much easier.

• 3 weeks later...
See if you can get an Orec rabbit mower where you are.

Turns out it was an Orec, the 16hp 2wd one. never used a bit of kit like this before, absolutely amazing what it could mow through. totally made my strimmer redundant for the weekend. Fields i mowed hadnt been touched for 8 years. was going through about 1.5-2 ltrs of petrol per hour, which i thought was quite good considering the work being achieved. :thumbup1:

PA040001.jpg.42dd7c125299ac83b9f2f5959c3f8fd9.jpg