Bsc versus QCF level 6

Nick Harrison

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick, I think this is often influenced by availability and accessibility etc. as to which course is chosen and also the type/style of learning best suited to the individual.

I would also 'suggest' the "what you intend to do afterwards" would also come into play in terms of BSc = research / teaching / academic etc. and ABC level 6 = tree officer / consultant / practitioner etc...perhaps.

(I also take it here you did mean 'ABC' level 6 as both quals. are QCF level 6, i.e. registered on the Quals. and Credit Framework at level 6 and as Diplomas...confusion.com :001_huh:)

The above is my 'personal take' on the topic.

Cheers..

Paul

That's how I've viewed the 2 routes, the QCF level 6 (old Prof Dip) being the more practical style syllabus for those looking to focus on consultancy type roles.

Costs and how the courses are delivered do obviously come into the equation, it's a shame there's still just the one institution offering an online course for degree level in arb, kind of creates a bit of a bottle neck for prospective students potentially?

I was also wondering how the 2 quals transfer to an international market, the more traditionally recognised university degrees/masters courses would presumably be more recognisable. Would be good to hear from those with experience abroad as to how the BSc & Level 6 are received overseas?

That's how I've viewed the 2 routes, the QCF level 6 (old Prof Dip) being the more practical style syllabus for those looking to focus on consultancy type roles. QUOTE]

Hi there, sorry, know I need to "get out more" but just wanted to clarify that both the BSc Arb and ABC Awards L6 Dip. Arb (old PD Arb) are both QCF level 6 quals.

Now I'll get back to my sheltered world :biggrin:

Cheers..

Paul

I've just completed the Level 6 and chose that route on the basis that it'll take 2 years to complete, albeit a very, very hard 2 years whereas the degree, tackling it as a remote course, will take 5 years - 3 for the foundation a with an additional 2 year top up.

Alliaria's comments about the structure is not strictly correct; the course is administered by Tree Life, my work was dispensed and marked by Andy Summerley, however the final work is externally moderated - mine should be being moderated as we speak. As I understand it Tree Life also carry out internal quality control over the marking with Andy assessing Dave Dowson's work and vice versa.

The comments made by Teccie Paul regarding the final objectives are pretty much spot on and should be considered before choosing.

Apologies, I was under the impression that all verification was undertaken by Tree works.

I stand corrected.

BSc (Hons) route is 4 and a half years, but still a long time.

I took a number of modules when it was the old PD Arb. I learnt a lot in a relatively short space of time. However each module was assessed by examination, which I found highly stressful. About 20% of the group I was in passed.

Anyway congratulation Andrew, an immense achievement.