fishing

Stephen Blair

hi guys, i have a notion to go fishing, after seeing mike hills pics i have a real craving to go fishing and camping out in the sticks, and living in the west coast of scotland i dont have to go far. any tips on whats best to buy. i have fly fishing stuff already. i used to enjoy spinning when i was younger as you were always doing something, not just watching a float. cheers:001_cool:

Go for it Stevie, I have a light weight 4 piece fly rod and a waist bag for all the bits n bobs, you can wear this with a rucksack and then dump the sack when you pitch camp but all your fishing gear is still to hand and separately portable.

Now that I live near the sea I have bought some sea fishing gear and have had a few goes lure fishing for pollock and coleys over the kelp beds, no real luck yet, but then I've only been a few times since we moved here. I have caught some big wrass ledgering with lugworms but you can't eat them.

I thought that when we moved back to the country I'd go fishing loads but work seems to have taken over. Any opportunity for a little "me" time should be seized IMO. Enjoy.:001_smile:

Dont do what I did Stevie..

I'd never been fishing before and went a couple of times with my mate sea fishing.

I nearly got dragged in by a 60lb tope because unbeknown to me the clutch was locked ogg on my rod, so it couldn't "run" and tire it out.

Anyway, we got the mother !! :001_smile:

Dou you tie your own flies stevie? If so try this, I came up with it a few years ago and in scottish water it is almost always sucessful. I have had folk scowl and say that I'll have no luck with dry fly and seen everyone else fishing wet only to come away with several good fish, and all the same sneering anglers coming over to ask "what fly is that?" honestly these really work.

Someone else has probably made one before and named it as its so simple to tie, so I'd better not call it a tommy d or something lol.

Its a longshank hook size 14 - 18 with a black head with a peakock hearl body and a CDC wing tied back. ( I understand that if you don't tie flies thats all gibberish)

Here's a pic,

597654480a1ef_TDflies.jpg.b848bfb7c5d2ff60e97b52576da2b8fe.jpg

Dou you tie your own flies stevie? If so try this, I came up with it a few years ago and in scottish water it is almost always sucessful. I have had folk scowl and say that I'll have no luck with dry fly and seen everyone else fishing wet only to come away with several good fish, and all the same sneering anglers coming over to ask "what fly is that?" honestly these really work.

Someone else has probably made one before and named it as its so simple to tie, so I'd better not call it a tommy d or something lol.

Its a longshank hook size 14 - 18 with a black head with a peakock hearl body and a CDC wing tied back. ( I understand that if you don't tie flies thats all gibberish)

Here's a pic,

they look good tom where do they sit in the film as an emerger? i find the cdc works well tied as either breather filaments on a buzzer or upright wing on a parachute.

ive not wet a line this year i will need to get along and cast to a rise.

they look good tom where do they sit in the film as an emerger? i find the cdc works well tied as either breather filaments on a buzzer or upright wing on a parachute.

ive not wet a line this year i will need to get along and cast to a rise.

They do sit right in the film, i have tried the parachue wing also but this seems more effective and is quicker to tie, I have had sucess tiying the cdc the other way, vertically over the eye as a suspender buzzer and taken rainbows in stock ponds near here. But TBH I find fishing for stocked rainbows boring, even if they are three times the size of the brownies.:001_smile: