best materials for kindling

anthony123

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just out of interest how do kindlets preform with softwood cord. What diameter timber will they take. And how many 40x50 loose filled nets would you get to a tonne of cord. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

They will do it but if they are all nice 6" rounds they tend to rock backwards and forwards. The kindling never looks as neat. I work on 80-100 bags to a green tonne of wood 200 bags if the timber is below 14% moisture. 1 cubic metre = 80-100 bags

hi guys thanks for all the input..i bought the machine and collecting it off a mate.i paid £2800 for 2009 model.joinery off cuts would be ideal as they are alot easier to handle.

@genesetsteve.

they are cracking bags of kindling you have there.does spurce or pine give as clean of a bag of kindling as the off cuts do?:001_smile:

Edited by anthony123

hi guys thanks for all the input..i bought the machine and collecting it off a mate.i paid £2800 for 2009 model.joinery off cuts would be ideal as they are alot easier to handle.

@genesetsteve.

they are cracking bags of kindling you have there.does spurce or pine give as clean of a bag of kindling as the off cuts do?:001_smile:

Nothing is as good for kindling as joinery off cuts. Its kiln dried, white, no bark and planed on two sides when kindled. You can make a nice bag of kindling out of round wood but your enermy will be knots and mould. Any species of wood makes good kindling but a nice looking bag flies off the shelf and grabs the sale. The average small village garage we supply sells at least 1000 bags a year. Using round wood the material varies sometimes you get a batch of wood that is stringy and just wont cut clean. If you kindle green timber you will have to lay the bags out for a few weeks.

I wholeheartedly agree with what Steve said, offcuts are the best. Although when you do hit a knot on dry offcuts it rarely powers through and jams. I find softwood cord either round of split in half through the processor depending on size is fine but you will need to let it rest with good ventilation, stacking it straight away will cause it to build up a lot of mold which looks awful, poplar gets very moldy too if not correctly stored in a well ventilated environment.

Be careful when prepping any joinery offcuts. People forget that kindling actually takes up most of your time during the prep stages and it can sometimes be pretty tedious repetitive work. Take the necessary precautions safety wise too. Last November I had a large skip load of offcuts delivered and the driver dumped it inconveniently right infront of my barn entrance whilst I was out delivering. I worked my way through the pile for the rest of the day in order to prevent moving it twice, by 7.30 I was still cutting away on my bandsaw when I began to slack and start rushing. I slipped and nearly took my entire index off because in my hast I stupidly started rushing whilst ignoring the fact I should have been using push sticks and keeping my hands at a safe distance. I'm a very very lucky person.

999285_10151810568135326_177836156_n_zpsfa5a90f8.jpg

Ouch ouch ouch hope that has healed well since November.

For prep work we started with the biggest dewalt cross cut we could find. But after a few hours it drove me mad and worried me about the attention span after an hour or so.

I quickly moved on and spent nearly the same amount of money as the kindlet on a cross cut saw. An upcut machine with guards and semi automatic with blade hidden in box. Long lengths of timber are ideal but short random joinery offcuts are as much work as it is to kindle. Making bags of kindling is twice the effort of logs so the material needs to be near on free to make it pay.

I wholeheartedly agree with what Steve said, offcuts are the best. Although when you do hit a knot on dry offcuts it rarely powers through and jams. I find softwood cord either round of split in half through the processor depending on size is fine but you will need to let it rest with good ventilation, stacking it straight away will cause it to build up a lot of mold which looks awful, poplar gets very moldy too if not correctly stored in a well ventilated environment.

Be careful when prepping any joinery offcuts. People forget that kindling actually takes up most of your time during the prep stages and it can sometimes be pretty tedious repetitive work. Take the necessary precautions safety wise too. Last November I had a large skip load of offcuts delivered and the driver dumped it inconveniently right infront of my barn entrance whilst I was out delivering. I worked my way through the pile for the rest of the day in order to prevent moving it twice, by 7.30 I was still cutting away on my bandsaw when I began to slack and start rushing. I slipped and nearly took my entire index off because in my hast I stupidly started rushing whilst ignoring the fact I should have been using push sticks and keeping my hands at a safe distance. I'm a very very lucky person.

999285_10151810568135326_177836156_n_zpsfa5a90f8.jpg