Husqvarna 576 vs 390

Husqvarna

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 404 cuts a wider kerf compared to the 3/8.

As a 36" will be near the top end of a standard 390's range the less resistance/narrower cut will help the saw cut a tadge faster/little less effort.

Yes that makes sense, thanks for that. As I'm intending to use this 390xp on a 24 / 28 and 36 (occasionally) it be more straight forward using all 3/8 chain rather than changing sprockets etc for the 36" if it was .404 chain.

Thanks

Husqvarna

Have you considered the 395xp, I find it an excellant all rounder for bigger stuff, I run between a 20" to 36" on mine and don't find the weight too bad for smaller stuff.

I used to have a 576xp which was a lovely saw too but perhaps not as good power to weight.

I had a 3120xp and sold it, I thought the 390xp would be a good all rounder for my job, the 395xp has crossed my mind but mayb it more like the 3120xp I sold.

Husqvarna

The 394/395 is a favourite of mine.

They are certainly more like a 390 than a 3120.

Weight wise they are much lighter than a 3120 and not much more noticeable than a 390 altho I think the later 394> and 395 hightop versions make it look more bulky than it due to having a taller filter housing to house the larger filter but in fact its probably only 150grams heavier.

The 390 shares some parts like clutch, exhaust etc with the 372. Im not knocking them, the 385 is exactly the same as the 390 apart from a 1mm smaller piston.

The 395 is a tried and tested saw, a muffler mod on a uk version is the only difference compared to the u.s versions and adds the 1hp difference that Husqvarna list in there figures. If your of the slighter build or have health issues or weight bothers you than go for the 390. Being a farm boy and 6' 4" ive got no worrys throwing around 395's.

They are certainly more like a 390 than a 3120.

They have windowed pistons and those funny transfers like Stihls, and the 3120.

And the P shaped brake arm, outboard clutch, no air injection. I'm personally not a fan, it's 5cc more and not a great increase of power. As you said, the 385/390 share a few parts with the 372, which is quite useful as it means less spare parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

They have windowed pistons and those funny transfers like Stihls, and the 3120.

And the P shaped brake arm, outboard clutch, no air injection. I'm personally not a fan, it's 5cc more and not a great increase of power. As you said, the 385/390 share a few parts with the 372, which is quite useful as it means less spare parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I was meaning in handleability and weight. The outboard clutch is for more cooling efficiency so less likely to slip especially in heavier working conditions.

I would debate the power difference tho, after a muffler mod especially.

Ms660 v 390 on a 36" bar would be a very close call match in big wood.

Stick a 395 with a 36" bar against either of them in big wood and the 395 will be a clear winner without a doubt.

Below 28" there probably wouldn't be a great deal in all 3 of them.

Also the 395 running a 36" the oiler setting is minimal, the ms660 would need maxxing out and struggles to supply enough oil and the 390 would be on a highish setting.

In my eyes its like towing a trailer with a vehicle which will just about do it but when you come to a hill you wish you had something bigger... :sneaky2:

Wisecobandit,

I've no doubt the 395xp is a mighty good saw, I'm planning to have a run to the Husky dealer this week and have a closer look at both of them, but to date im leaning towards a 390xp,

Thankfully I don't suffer from ill health, yes im a farmer boy but not quite 6'4", what you need is a big bow saw they used in the olden days and sell me that 395 at a knock down price!!! Lol.

Your help greatly appreciated once again.

Many thanks

Lol. Theres nothing wrong whatsoever with a 390 and its a good choice. For yourself it sounds the 390 is ideal as you want the 36" bar as/when you may need it and not as a permanent 36" barred saw but if it was likely to be kept more often than not as a 36" barred saw your better going for the 395 in my personal opinion

I tend to do a fair bit of big hardwood mainly oak and beech and have a reasonable choice of 9 saws to choose from (4 being 394/395's) so each have there dedicated bars so I don't need to worry about swapping out bars etc.