201T and Oregon lo pro 91VXL chain

Al Cormack

Here's the quick file work I do to the chains I run. It makes a huge difference when the bar is buried, and makes the chain cut more smoothly over all. The VXL got this treatment the first time I sharpened it. On the left in the pic is 73 chain, with stock unused 75 on the right.

157096135.MDXr6f6i.jpg

This is how it goes in fairly hard yellow cypress:

Edited by wyk

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive notice this with my 540xp and the 91vxl, it makes it almost unusable!

I think the idea that we should have to mod a chain just to run smooth is ludicrous. Oregon need to sort this out asap.

Agreed . Blount needs to climb a tree and cut !

The above message was meant to include this quote:

Here's the quick file work I do to the chains I run. It makes a huge difference when the bar is buried, and makes the chain cut more smoothly over all. The VXL got this treatment the first time I sharpened it. On the left in the pic is 73 chain, with stock unused 75 on the right.

157096135.MDXr6f6i.jpg

This is how it goes in fairly hard yellow cypress:

Edited by SawTroll

That shouldn't hurt anything, but I have never felt a need for it on any of the chain I have used (haven't used 91VXL).

It makes vxl usable. It makes a standard chain cut like butter, especially for bore cutting and burying the bar. It literally takes 2 or 3 swipes of a file. I do it every time on every chain during the first sharpening. It adds just a few minutes.

Agreed . Blount needs to climb a tree and cut !

Oregon knows exactly what they are doing. After all, there's a reason they have multiple types of chains in 91(and others).

Here is their fact page on race chain. I don't think Oregon allow you to link to their own page any more:

http://www.madsens1.com/PDF/RacingTechfacts_93099.pdf

It makes vxl usable. It makes a standard chain cut like butter, especially for bore cutting and burying the bar. It literally takes 2 or 3 swipes of a file. I do it every time on every chain during the first sharpening. It adds just a few minutes.

I surely will try it! :biggrin:

Glad I brought this up, seems I'm not the only one having issues with vxl chain.

I'll try the grinding the back of the top plate, but as ricbob says, we shouldn't have to do this.

You don't have to do it, just get VX chain next time.