Derriford Hospital (Plymouth) - landscaping & architecture

kevinjohnsonmbe

Had a walk around the grounds this evening since our little girl is on the ward.

Few interesting observations and pictures, the new car park build and landscaping will have made someone a pile of cash but it's some of the weirdest stuff I've seen!

Carpark looks like a Shanghai bamboo scaffold, couldn't believe it, they have used round fence posts on the upper tier. I wondered if it was some kind of temp safety measure but why would they choose round fence posts? The spacing is so wide as not to provide a barrier to a child falling through, surely this can't be the design effect / finished item but the car park is in use??? How on earth would this pass Bldg control?

Haven't checked the new BS but the spacing on the new plantings seems too close, the ties are way too tight and look to be too low to me?

The boundary fencing for the outside ground level parking, although rather agricultural, appears that the top levels are reasonable but, and it's difficult to see from the pic, the bottom post levels are up to 3" variance in length! Pretty poor in my view.

Anyone else seen it?

IMG_2322.jpg.68ec331f360a723d75a4e47f71a63ec4.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg.d6f1223f5370849be6366c0c897d06a8.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg.98d09caff61d3420c81d20dd45c166d5.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg.ee859c0ab70c43135e111fc9ae2097a0.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg.ae5d824eefb395a07b2ec17f0901bb4d.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One or two of the car park upper sections look ok, some look like they have run out of materials

The tree stakes are a disaster, no room at all for the growth of the tree - not even an inch in the trunk.

The fencing lats different sizes, either the post or the lath in the picture isn't vertical and why not run a simple edging strip along the bottom to keep the chip off the tarmac.

I drive right past that view twice a day, every day.

The grade of workmanship is no worse than a lot of other planting / landscaping; the tree ties make me mad. I went the whole of cattedown some years ago "setting trees free". Members of the public re-attached 10 y/o trees lol.

Clueless.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

• 4 months later...

Despite our best efforts, we've crashed into Christmas like a runaway freight train on a collision course with a fuel depot (I think the film I'm thinking of might be runaway?)

72 hours of adult D&V and now back in DERRIFORD with the little one.

That's my 2 days emergency Christmas shopping blown again! A set of wiper blades from Morrisons garage for the wife again this year! At least I've got a reasonable excuse this year!!

So, had a walk around the estate to get some air and thought I'd have a look see how the plantings from earlier in the year were doing:

Pretty much as expected, lashings are bar taught, chafing, breaking and pulling the supports out:

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419247228.368423.jpg.76068018f0e671ee1b3ac5b200dc9a24.jpg

!

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419247208.863072.jpg.fe8b873639886c0fb3305ff2a7e0feee.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419247183.180339.jpg.9e1684f4cd9c76a8b3198a6dbb435902.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419247167.323553.jpg.cb2c68cd36c745195af964e82e835623.jpg

I thought that landscapers in the US only did such horrible work. To many trees and no place for them to grow in a mature environment. The bamboo or what ever is hanging from the side of the building really looks poor. Looks like the owners of the building were sold a bill of goods. Maybe a blind person could appreciate the job, just maybe!

easy-lift guy

PS, I just noticed the parking lot paving job as well. Who is responsible for issuing a final inspection for such piss poor work?

Edited by easy-lift guy