How would you tackle a tree like this?

coppicer

I'd undercut everything behind the wire, that would drop the limb down, then I would get my polesaw and cut it free so it fell to the ground.

By "behind the wire", which side do you mean?

Sorry, just having problems following/visualising this. Looking at the tree, it seemed to me that cutting the limb in contact with the ground pretty much anywhere could lead to a loss in balance and a large lump of tree flying around, potentially flattening the fence. Or unwary bystanders.

It may be 8 - 15 minutes cutting/lowering but who is gonna price it on just that?

I'd want to be paid for my expertise, and the 'what would happen if I didn't do it right' bit.

EAsy job - yes. Ludicrously cheap charge from a pro - why?

If the guy is doing it himself, time doesn't matter but sequence of actions does.

All the answers have been posted - let's not kid the OP he can get it done for a 15 min charge.

All the answers have been posted - let's not kid the OP he can get it done for a 15 min charge.

I thank everybody who has posted. I wouldn't expect to pay for 15 minutes for a job like this, or any other job (in any field) that requires a trained professional. I think we all know that's not the way the world works.

The truth is that this job doesn't actually need doing. I was passing by and thought "yeah, there's some wood there" and then wondered how it would be tackled given the hangup and the fence.

Having said that, I'm still not entirely sure about the procedure being outlined in some of the answers!

I'd undercut everything behind the wire, that would drop the limb down, then I would get my polesaw and cut it free so it fell to the ground. then I would cut the top broken limb and it would fall on the ground, then I would cut it back to where the damage was.

None of these cuts would be in 2 stages, just a single cut on the tension side so it held on a little longer.

If the rest was to be felled, I would then fell the tree in the direction of the leaning top.

About 8 minutes work all in.

Pretty much what I'd do, think this is one of those situations where the climbers will say climb it and rig, whilst us groundies and foresters will say take it out from the ground as its simpler and quicker and theres nothing that can be seriously damaged.

If it was my own tree I'd put a rope round it as high as I could get it, the higher the better tye it to tractor or landrover and floor it with the aim being to pull the butt away from the fence as quickly as possible before it lands . Worse case I'd have to spend 10 mins repairing the fence (the top wires look slack already anyway)

If I was being paid for a proper job I'd go up the neighbouring tree and tye off the hung up limb then either get the groundie to nibble away at the bottom with a pole saw until it was hanging free then lower the rest to the ground as said groundie pulled it clear of the fence as it was being lowered.

Or probably better way would be to lower it off neighbouring treewhilst it was being carefully pulled away from the fence with a truck- hardly any cutting involved except maybe one severing cut at the top.

You mean paying out the line/sling holding the limb while the truck pulls, so that it ends up in the field without hitting the fence?