Phase 1 habitat survey course

daltontrees

I am hoping to do a course soon called Phase 1 Habitat Survey, not for any exact purpose but I am getting increasingly interested in bats and eventually I think it could be useful in looking at bat feeding grounds. And there does seem to be an occasional Planning demand for this type of survey.

Has anyone done such a course, was it beneficial and where did it take you? Any advice much appreciated.

Hi Julian,

I recently undertook an exam ran by the BSBI (Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland in case some of you didn't know) and gained a level 3 qualification allowing me to do partial Phase 1 habitat Surveys. I'm sure there may be other routes too, but this one is worth looking at (and possibly right up your street!)

BSBI

Bats however, is a whole different board game. Our Ecologists have to do years of training events, CPD's, surveys under supervision and hours and hours of on site time before they can even begin to think about becoming a bat surveyor.

Worth looking into though if you have the time and energy

If it is Bat surveying you want to get into, contact your local Bat Group and get involved. The Bat Conservation Trust and AA run training courses in survey techniques.

If you are wanting to become licensed, don't expect to get one overnight, it's a vast subject with a lot to take in, but well worth the effort. Took me over 5 years to get mine.

Chris.

Thanks Rob and Chris. I was kind of thinking of 3 years but if it takes 5 I'm sure I'll stick it out.

Up here in Scotland, there's so few options of training. Every course I track down from Google is in England, except 2 providers up here who fortunately look pretty good nand are linked in some good way to BCT. Neither do training beyond August because the wee critters (the bats, not the trainers) are getting sluggish and thinking about hibernating. I am killing time in a way till next year, but in another way I am hoping to fill in blanks in my knowlege of nature, training myself to look at landscapes systematically and scientifically the way I have done for years with trees and geology.

I have found it very hard to follow what is needed to be a licensed bat consultant. Somewhere between knowing the right people and having spent megabucks on various accredited courses and dozens of nightshifts outdoors. But then, tree work is a bit like that, CS 30, 31, 38, 39 .... there are cheaper university degrees.

I shall look a bit further into it. I never thought about BSBI, so thanks for the recommendation. But it's the same old issue, courses are all in England. I'm not anti english, it's just that it adds a day's travel to and a day's travel from courses and travel expenses, which all adds up to £400 on top of course fees and puts them out of financial reach. And I'm not making any sort of political point here, but scottish courses make you learn scottish and english law/regulation/species while english only deal with english and don't prepare you for practice in any other country. Like the AA Tech, it's hard to un-learn the unnecessary bits and learn the necessary bolt-ons.

Completely understand Justin,

The reason it took me so long to become licensed was because I didn't want to fork out a fortune to do courses and tick a box. I wanted to know the species properly and understand the ecology of Bats in depth, which resulted in me doing everything from urban roost visits, to rehabilitation, to remote monitoring, I could go on. I still only feel like I've scratched the surface after 10 years as a bat worker, but stick at it, it's very rewarding. You raise a good point in the cost of CS courses and I say to a lot of people who "want" a bat license, would you expect somebody who has just passed all their CS courses to be a fully qualified and competent Arborist? It takes time and effort.

Phase One is very broad brush, we did it a college as part of the ecology module. Its a good starting point for getting into ecological surveys though. Are you doing it through Echoes?

Yep, I am provisionally enrolled for the course there in a couple of weeks' time.

• 1 month later...

I have just had to go throu gettin a bat survey done and seems to be a licence to print money, the 2 local companies wanted between 1200-1600 quid + vat to do a survey on a fairy small building. The roofer was going to strip and re slate it for not a lot more

I knew 1 of the company owners from when i used to go to the local bat group and throu work with the llocal wildlfie trust, he was just starting out back then working for the council

Similar to SP above done some phase 1 as part of my uni course but not sure if it will help massively.

I found most of it is common sense and being used to nature, i'm sure with a life time in trees u will have a fairly good idea wot makes good roosting or faraging habitat will just have to study the individual bat secies preferences now