totem pole

Petesos

Hi All

I am looking for a chainsaw carver who could produce a 14 foot totem pole

3 foot of the log would be buried in the ground

The log would be supplied and the place to carve it would be sorted.

The theme for the carvings would be native Indian and the thickness of the log would be about 18 inches and the wood would probably be Ceder

The location of this job is in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.

I own a shop doing wood items with CNCs and Co2 Lasers and have a go at making most things in wood for people so this would not just be a one off job as I am asked for wood carvings quite often.

If anyone is interested in taking this job on Please PM me with a rough estimate of your price and time scale.

Any Questions please ask

Pete

I would but Im based in Aberdeenshire so im a bit too far away. I am planing a totem pole later this year so i wonder if 3 foot is enough to bury in the ground for stability?

I think if it was 3ft deep by 2ft square that would be 6 cubic feet of part dry mix with room for a few inches of soil .

When I was doing the stone monoliths we found the most important bit was a 6 to 8 inch pad with a dowl set in the middle and then we lowered the thing on to the dowl and backfilled with some drymix and that was accepted by most councils

Pete

Hi,

Have you been to the heritage centre there was someone there who did the Gruffulo trail. Dedicatedly be worth talking to them.

Cheers. Mark

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hi Mark

Yeh I tested the waters there and it was a bit political so gave it a miss

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thats a shame because I thought that their work was quite good. I'll ask around, although I found it difficult when I was trying to find someone to do some carving. I gave up as it wasn't important for me.

Cheers Mark

Hi Pete, you could try looking on here,

Chainsaw Carving Artists - Google Maps

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210028211538960430726...0

Wood Hacker Chainsaw Art by Butch Elrod. Large and small freestanding carvings, stump carving, and sawmill service based in Kennewick, WA. Browse our ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hi Pete,

Thats a shame because I thought that their work was quite good. I'll ask around, although I found it difficult when I was trying to find someone to do some carving. I gave up as it wasn't important for me.

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark

I know its a shame when politics come in to an art .

Pete