stihl strimmer fs 55 r?

billpierce

so yes i know not a chainsaw but thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

bought a used fs55r strimmer, 2007 model. tried it worked good, cn anyone guess the rest?.......got home worked good for 30 mins, put it down came back 2 hours later the thin wouldn;t start. the air filter was soaked with fuel, so cleaned that and the housing but, it fired but wouldn't go. spark plug wasn't wet, pissed around a good bit occainsonal getting it to go (starting with throttle on.) and it sounded like a heavy mix. checked carb settings it was on 2 3/4 H and 1 1/3 L (factory is 3/4 h and 1 L.) so put them to that then left it alone.

started mint this morning hurray! idled well etc. then 2 hours later was up to same again, except this time it would run better with throttle on but wouldn't idle at all. it was still a nob to start my arm is tired now.

the fella will give me my money back so no biggy, but would also quite like to fix it.

where to start then fellas? felt like the carb bore was getting pretty full of petrol.

thanks in advance

so yes i know not a chainsaw but thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

bought a used fs55r strimmer, 2007 model. tried it worked good, cn anyone guess the rest?.......got home worked good for 30 mins, put it down came back 2 hours later the thin wouldn;t start. the air filter was soaked with fuel, so cleaned that and the housing but, it fired but wouldn't go. spark plug wasn't wet, pissed around a good bit occainsonal getting it to go (starting with throttle on.) and it sounded like a heavy mix. checked carb settings it was on 2 3/4 H and 1 1/3 L (factory is 3/4 h and 1 L.) so put them to that then left it alone.

started mint this morning hurray! idled well etc. then 2 hours later was up to same again, except this time it would run better with throttle on but wouldn't idle at all. it was still a nob to start my arm is tired now.

the fella will give me my money back so no biggy, but would also quite like to fix it.

where to start then fellas? felt like the carb bore was getting pretty full of petrol.

thanks in advance

The one thing that is baffling in all this is the dry plug you mention because the rest sounds like a leaking carb needle valve which will make the engine not run well if at all and will flood the engine at standstill.

A new full carb kit would be good but it is worth checking the carb metering arm height and make sure the spring under it is correctly in place.

I would normally pressure check the carb but lacking that equipment you may struggle.

If the engine is suspected to flood, pull the plug, turn the engine so the plug hole is downwards, turn the ignition off and pull it over fast a few times.

My money is on fuel - worth checking the fuel filter and line and if it plays up again, see if loosening the fuel cap helps. Also make sure the compression is good, if you have a bright small LED torch, shine it down the plug hole and try to look at the exhaust port side of the cylinder wall to inspect for scores.

All these engines are similar and operate on the same principles.