Written the Runt with Grunt off!

PeteB

My GreenMech tow tug, a Hyundai IX35 looks like it got written off on Saturday.

My first serious car crash on the highway since I passed my test back in 1982. And that gets up my nose - especially as it was my fault.....

I was driving up the M42, about 4 car lengths behind an Audi and it unaccountably braked hard. I did too but the inevitable happened and I hit them hard enough to set off the bags and smash the front up.

Thankfully, no one was hurt in either car - I did ask three times whether they wanted the emergency services, they declined. I did find it odd that they braked sharply, and that the lady driver sat in hers - visibly distraught, and saying "I'm sorry, so sorry".

I've been around long enough to know that it is always the rear cars fault and there are no excuses - but I am left with a sense of unease that I may have been in a "crash for cash" scam - although to do that on a motorway at speed is tantamount to attempted murder...

Another lesson learnt is that, despite having recovery cover etc, they will recover your car to a storage facility but the occupants get dumped at the nearest point of safety and you have to complete your journey at your own cost or call on favourable friends etc to come and collect you....

I liked that car too....would tow 2000kgs, capable across country and in snowy conditions etc, comfortable, economical, good dealers etc....shame. It did 117k miles since October 2011 without complaint. The garage lads have said that it is rare for a car which has had the bags goe off to get repaired as a new dash is expensive, especially when added to a new screen, two wings, front cross member, radiator, bumper and bonnet etc is a chunk of money in parts alone. Let alone jig work if the chassis legs are crumpled.

They drove off with a crumpled rear and a light busted but that appeared to be it. I am intensely relieved that there was no blood spilt but deflated by the circumstances.

Please leave a lot more room than you think is necessary.....

Bad do Pete, glad no one was hurt though.

Did you get pics? Crash for cash tend to be low value cars, low speed impacts, but when the claim comes in there are 5 people with whiplash and ££££s of damage to their car etc.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

My GreenMech tow tug, a Hyundai IX35 looks like it got written off on Saturday.

My first serious car crash on the highway since I passed my test back in 1982. And that gets up my nose - especially as it was my fault.....

I was driving up the M42, about 4 car lengths behind an Audi and it unaccountably braked hard. I did too but the inevitable happened and I hit them hard enough to set off the bags and smash the front up.

Thankfully, no one was hurt in either car - I did ask three times whether they wanted the emergency services, they declined. I did find it odd that they braked sharply, and that the lady driver sat in hers - visibly distraught, and saying "I'm sorry, so sorry".

I've been around long enough to know that it is always the rear cars fault and there are no excuses - but I am left with a sense of unease that I may have been in a "crash for cash" scam - although to do that on a motorway at speed is tantamount to attempted murder...

Another lesson learnt is that, despite having recovery cover etc, they will recover your car to a storage facility but the occupants get dumped at the nearest point of safety and you have to complete your journey at your own cost or call on favourable friends etc to come and collect you....

I liked that car too....would tow 2000kgs, capable across country and in snowy conditions etc, comfortable, economical, good dealers etc....shame. It did 117k miles since October 2011 without complaint. The garage lads have said that it is rare for a car which has had the bags goe off to get repaired as a new dash is expensive, especially when added to a new screen, two wings, front cross member, radiator, bumper and bonnet etc is a chunk of money in parts alone. Let alone jig work if the chassis legs are crumpled.

They drove off with a crumpled rear and a light busted but that appeared to be it. I am intensely relieved that there was no blood spilt but deflated by the circumstances.

Please leave a lot more room than you think is necessary.....

HI MATE can i ask you who your insured with pm if you like thanks jon

Crash for cash disable their brake lights so you can't see them braking. If you saw them come on and just weren't quick enough it's your fault but they should have some reasonable explanation for their action.

I wrote my car off six weeks ago. 7am in Wales and of the only two cars on the road one stopped completely because 'there was a rabbit in the road'. I had a trailer with a bike on it so it pushed me on a bit. If the airbags and seatbelt pretensioners go off then it's generally a write off.