ford ranger tipper anygood??

not for sale sorry

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before i start a " i love my landy and landys are best" argument, this is a disclaimer....

I have a landy beacuse i have tried loads of others and they werent for me.

As far as rangers are concerned, i have found only one advantage, which was the puling power which was quite impressive. I have done loads of work with a fencing contractor who has one, and off road, admittedly with all terrains not mud terrains, it is awful. The chassis on the ranger is mickey mouse compared to a landy, the body is steel not ali. yet it weighs thesame as a landy of similar size- lightweight chassis. They are in two wheel drive with selectable four wheel drive and selectable lo-hi range, but no central diff lock (i think). They are great on road, and that is what they are really marketed at. My landrover garage, Mid Cornwall 4x4, has the servicing contract for the hundreds of vehicles that are used by the china clay industtry, Imerys, and are owned by Daimler-Benz on a leasing contract. They have two landys that are running 24-seven, and are totally abused. Daimler wanted to know how it was that they could buy a £20000 defender and 3 years later be lucky to get £300 for it at auction. So they bought 10 rangers. After 6 months they got rid of the lot and went back to landys. They have tried all sorts of 4x4's in the clay pits, and the only ones that survive are landy's, and the other problem was getting spares, and rot. I have had a couple of hi-luxs too, and have to say that if Toyota made a bigger version of the hi-lux pick up, then i wouldnt touch the green oval. They are bombproof. I am aiming to be fairly un-biased in this, but i would advise against a ranger if you want to do any serious off road work, they just arent tough enough imo. Hopefully someone on herewill have more experience of them and may give a better view. I think the fact that a brand new ranger is half the price of a new hi-cap defender (the basis for most tippers) says a lot too. A landy is basically a glorified tractor, and as for reliability issues, an all honesty, they are no more or less reliable than anty other 4x4 which works hard and is looked after, but they are very very cheap on parts, and there is a very good availability of parts new and second hand, which for me is one of the things that gives them an edge too. Ill stop gibbering now. Sorry.:001_smile:

rangers are ok motors, worked on quite a few as a firm i sub for runs 7 of them, all have suffered from leaf spring failiure when not regularly loaded (these are for ferrying staff and diesel round). quite revvy engines but tow ok (just watch out for premature transmission problems), off road not great to be honest but alot of it is down to tyres, most have either a limited slip diff or electronic locker for when it gets snotty.

cheers guys, i wont be of road alot i supose more on road really, thought of a transit tipper but if off road work comes up i cant really do it, some chap said to me that landys break down a fair bit?? i supose when it comes to trucks etc its more a personal preferance. i just dont no what to go for :blushing:

Landys only break down if they are abused and not looked after. The problem is that their capability when loaded is leagues above any other 4x4, so they do get abused, and so they do break. People dont give other 4x4's the same stick as they dont have the load area/ offroad ability so they do not open themselves up to the same abuse. When landys break they are cheap. e.g. re-con gearbox fitted , £650 in landy, nissan d21, re-con box my mate just had, £1600 plus fitting. It was only 3 years old too! The biggest problem with landrovers is those people who have bought a nail and expected loads from it due to the high purchase price (they really hold their value) and also people who cant afford one and are bitter about it. If you want reliability get a toyota, but you wont be able to do with it what you can with a landy, as the only pick up they make is the hi-lux and it is small. You ranger will fall apart in no time if you work it hard and relentlessly off road. however, you aren't going to, so a ranger is probably perfect.

that landy is barely run in especially for a landy and the beauty of them is, as tom has said, you can just replace bits fairly cheaply and also they are quite easy to work on if you have a reasonable grasp of mechanics. Mine is a 2.5td and has done 100k+ miles and the engine is still fairly sound apart from a blown exhaust manifold gasket and the breather pipe filling the air filter with oil.

ive had a 04 ranger for about 6 months cant fault it good on the juice if you dont thrash it.plenty of power.its the first 4x4 ive had and im impressed with it done a fair few jobs with it now and started realising its downfalls is tool storage and not havin a tipper.so ive started doing a conversion on it was a bit confused at first how to do it but they was a guy on here who pointed me in the right direction.mc garth cheers mate.bought a transit back and tipping gear chopped to 8 by 6 finishing that this week.just started making the sides with a toolbox fitted in.ill post some pics when i finish.never owned a defender but will in the future they look the bussiness in full arb trim..:001_smile: