ID help please I found this at the base of an English oak

Rhystree

Has been a very busy 2 weeks, in at the deep end but probably learn the ropes quicker that way (helps having a humphries lurking about in a forum to pester with questions 😊). There's been a bit of a change around which should hopefully mean I'll be able to input on potential improvements. Colleagues all seem sound too, missing the climbing tho...Thanks for asking, hope all good your end too!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would add this one - the FB is quite hard, to the point where you get a solid sound if you rap the top with your knuckles. There is another one, slightly smaller but looks the same, on the other side. Tree is pushing 4' DBH.

Alec

59766995d9626_oakfungus3.jpg.6c63a1e9d33b5e27f2d64ee7e730424c.jpg

59766995d7fb7_oakfungus2.jpg.7c029712e83f3bce28bd2fdcef5e05b2.jpg

59766995d63fa_oakfungus1.jpg.84f70a8e1a7ae3fdc089746e98e34dc3.jpg

I think your set is likely to be Ganoderma sp Alec

This at work? looks like one of your old estate trees.

Yes David, it's just down from the enormous plane, right next to the equivalent building at the other end.

Any thoughts on a prognosis, being as our place is a bit digital (ie leave alone/fell)?

Alec

Looks to be leaning away from the building Alec.

I'd be inclined to leave it in terms of target management but for its own sake and future stability, it may be worth considering a reduction of the sail and possibly the end weight of the larger heaviest lateral branches depending on assessment.

Looks to be leaning away from the building Alec.

I'd be inclined to leave it in terms of target management but for its own sake and future stability, it may be worth considering a reduction of the sail and possibly the end weight of the larger heaviest lateral branches depending on assessment.

agree, Oaks seem to cope well with Ganodermas bar resinaceum, which this clearly isnt.:thumbup1:

Yes David, it's just down from the enormous plane, right next to the equivalent building at the other end.

This one? how's it doing now Alec?

Couple of summers ago I thought it was looking a bit sparse in the outer canopy,

and retaining a couple of branches that may have been massaria.

DSCF9907.JPG.4ab48bbc7944ece079adb5b576001161.JPG

DSCF9906.JPG.dc7d0b3328c8b1d1d213c17a2abe75b6.JPG

That's the one - it is looking way better this year. I'll take a picture tomorrow but the canopy is now full and the tree looks good. We have a new facilities manager who is more likely to take up some of your comment.

Alec