Stihl 036 long bar

Gary Watson

I have picked up a Stihl 036 that i would like to turn into a stump cutting machine. I know its a 61cc machine but can i put a long bar on it (say around 30"). I have seen on forums that people have used 24" bars on it. What about if i did a home made "Skip" chain and ground some of the teeth off. Or is there a big bore kit for this saw that i can up the grunt? I know i could "port it" or have bought a bigger saw or do cuts from both sides, but i just want to check my options.

Cheers

You can physically fit a long bar to it (up to 42" is available) but the longer the bar, the more of the saw's power is going in to pulling the chain round rather than being available for cutting. It will also bog down easily as it won't have the torque to pull it.

If you do want to to go this way I would convert to .325" pitch on the sprocket and get the bar nose sprocket changed over to match. I know Rob D is exploring the options for long 3/8" lo pro bars, which would allow you to run an even longer bar on a small saw.

Ultimately though, be aware that you only have so much power available so whilst it will get there eventually it will not be very time-efficient.

Alec

If you put that 036 into a stump with a 30" B&C on it, it will burn that bar and possibly the bearings out in short order because the oiler will not handle it. It might do with some conifer trimming if you need the reach, but not for stumps. Even in the states we don't put more than a 24" on a muffler modded 036 for anything aside for felling and limbing conifers. I run a 25" on my ported 361 with a 460R oiler on it, and I was pushing it pretty hard the other day stumping a beech. I couldn't imagine doing that with a standard 036.

My 046 standard oil pump will just lube a 30 inch bar and I needed a high flow rate pump for a 36 inch bar (which I only use very occasionally), as others have said, I seriously doubt if an 036 standard oil pump will lube a 30 inch bar.

Octane rating is a fuel's ability to resist detonation. If you have a high compression engine, especially one capable of modifying it's timing advance on the fly, it makes a difference. If you have a chainsaw, you will be wasting money. I run a ported MS361 most days with over 210psi compression and advanced timing, roughly 50psi more than many factory chainsaws come equipped as, and I run standard 95 octane pump RON/92 AKI at 40:1 ratio all day long, with a 25" bar, even stumping, without issues. I am curious to see how you feel about a 24" bar on that 036 after some use.

Edited by wyk

Ok, So i have spent some money and fitted the 036 with a 24" bar new sproket and chain, modified the muffler and turned the oil pump all the way up. I have got hold of a stihl tacho and on saturday intend to do the tune up. My question is, has the stihl 036 got a rev limiter fitted? having read up on tuning and watched a few youtube videos, the technique is slightly different for each type of ignition system.

An 036 won't have a rev limiter unless that coil has been replaced with one. If you are going to stump with it, I would tune her thick at 13,300 or so and then bring her back to mid to high 13's if she four strokes there for ground work with that 24" bar.