RG Rayco

aspenarb

is the shaft on the cutter wheel worn? is there a clutch on that or is it direct drive the bell housing looks too small to have a clutch i quite like the old deutz air cooled engines very simple and for a stump grinder less bits to fall off as long as you can keep them cool they run forever just watch for exhaust leaks as the barrels can get hot spots when the manifold gaskets blow we had some old turbo v10s and straight 6s in some of our kit and they would cook the drivers they were that hot:thumbup:

The engine is right up out of the way so not much crap gets up there, the engine slides on a carriage via a hydraulic ram which in turn lets the belt tension off acting like a clutch. the shaft was good , good enough to need the bearing pressing onto the shaft.

bob

imagejpg1_zps29b0c28a.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bob,

thought youd of converted it to a track grinder :biggrin:

I was thinking of mashing it into a 6 ton 4x4 dumper i have in the yard but I sort of like it as it is, what you cant see is there is a hydraulic push out on its drawbar that goes out about 2mts so once its positioned that is where it stays till the jobs done, its got enough push to shove the mog forward with the brakes on so we use the telehandler on it now with the forks shoved vertically into the ground as an anchor, that works out well.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

so now that you've got it back together when are you putting up a vid can u tow that on the road or does it have to be trailered everywhere

I reckon if you were towing that, nobody would tailgate you :).

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Arbtalk mobile app

I reckon if you were towing that, nobody would tailgate you :).

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Arbtalk mobile app

i don't know about that somebody in a council van hit the cutter wheel of our grinder don't know how its bright orange and has a light board on it albeit its a lot smaller than that monster

That machine is awesome, how often do you use it? I expect once you get it going the jobs over pretty quickly!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Its sometimes sits for a few weeks then its out all the time it just depends on what we are doing. I dropped it out on a job for another tree surgeon this afternoon at about 1 oclock and there were about 18 stumps varying from 300mm to 3mts in diameter , the guy operating the machine was back in the yard at 4.30 so I assume he has finished which means he chewed through this lot in about two and a half hours. The last one in the slide show measured 3mts across and was over a meter out of the ground , they could not cut any more off it because of all the metal included.

Rayco Slideshow by mypickys | Photobucket

so now that you've got it back together when are you putting up a vid can u tow that on the road or does it have to be trailered everywhere

We used to tow this and other kit behind the mog but its much quicker to move things around with the truck and send the lads out in a normal pickup.

Bob