F8 Revolver

DrewB

I have been climbing with this system on and off since January. For canopies with a dense crown it works really well. For long limb walks getting back in can pose a problem that can be easily fixed. Before walking out install an additional prussic and revolver on the climbing line, and then feed the tail end of the rope through to act as a mechanical advantage. Simply pull on the tail end to tend your friction hitch as you come back in. I have been using a DMM Heart attack figure 8 with the revolver and had no wear issues. The length of the split tail is critical to ensure it grabs every time. Redirects are a cinch simply belt in and direct the rope F8 in the direction you want to go and re clip in. You can get creative by using a throw line to pull the climbing line into the position you want to go prior to ascending. This I used to good effect on weeping willows.

The main drawback I see with this system is what are the forces being created on the branches as you redirect the climbing line through the tree? This is definitely a system for an advanced climber but has tremendous potential as it evolves.

I have been following the development of the F8 and it is a pretty interesting concept. If while experimenting with this some of you get hooked on the benefits of single rope, don't over look the Unicender.

I'm an old time climber and would not have believed anything could replace doubled rope but the Unicender is doing a pretty good job. Limb walking was also its short coming until I added the fair lead. Now I can return from limb walks without overweighting the limb just as in doubled rope.

Also the Uni can be used for doubled rope in both instances it has the same "no set back", similar to the Lockjack. Just a whole lot more robust and versatile.

Dave

597654395fd64_Unifairlead.jpg.e08fd6e6109f4b296f46aa00fc3a580b.jpg

• 4 years later...
I quite like the look of that. It looks like a homespun take on the ropewrench.

Look at the dates. Kevin (the guy in the video) is the guy who developed the rope wrench. The F8 system predated the wrench but the principles are the same.

It went F8

Wood wrench

ZK1

ZK2:001_smile:

Look at the dates. Kevin (the guy in the video) is the guy who developed the rope wrench. The F8 system predated the wrench but the principles are the same.

It went F8

Wood wrench

ZK1

ZK2:001_smile:

I still use the F8 to descend on rare occasions using srt without the revolver, it's a good technique to know as it requires parts that most of us already have gathering dust in the bottom of our kit bags.