August Hunicke Videos

August Hunicke

Your mentioning it was the 1st I've heard about it. I texted him about it and he said the incident didn't involve him or his crew or job, etc. The newspaper needed someone with some experience with chippers and tree work to interview for their story. Perhaps you know more about the story than I do.

Live to inspire.

I just find it interesting the LA Times would go to Bixler's home to get his take on a grisly whole tree chipper decapitation in his neighborhood.

I've known Bix for a few years now August.

He's expressed some rather bizarre views on chipper safety, to put it politely.

Bix's a big boy now, with a following.

But I seriously doubt he still thinks preteens operatin woodchippers is a good idea!

There's a grisly side of this biz that doesn't bear close scrutiny from either side of the pond.

Not extending to woodchipper operators, particularly those feeding whole tree chippers, the same safety considerations afforded climbers at work on the job.

What makes blokes who climb for a livin one bit more precious than a fellow treeworker feedin a WTC on the job August?

Bixler, anybody?.

What's all this aerial rescue about when Martin died alone, without breaking any industry rule except makin a mistake performing a hazardous task?

Climber's are industry sanctioned prima donnas who look silly in tights anyways!

There's a bloody aspect of this biz that's kinda hard to ignore if you do it long enough.

Personally I like a lot of groundies better than most the climbers I know!

I found the Bix interview vid frustrating on the one handing issue between the two of you. It's never done without reason by a pro. Which means he was performing some other vital task with the other hand, catching a branch, maintaining an upright orientation by holding onto your upper TIP bodyline?

Lots of valid reasons to one hand a saw under certain circumstances aloft.

Bix is a greenhorn mate, but he's gettin better, and less outrageous with age.

Jomoco:001_smile:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find it interesting the LA Times would go to Bixler's home to get his take on a grisly whole tree chipper decapitation in his neighborhood.

I've known Bix for a few years now August.

He's expressed some rather bizarre views on chipper safety, to put it politely.

Bix's a big boy now, with a following.

But I seriously doubt he still thinks preteens operatin woodchippers is a good idea!

There's a grisly side of this biz that doesn't bear close scrutiny from either side of the pond.

Not extending to woodchipper operators, particularly those feeding whole tree chippers, the same safety considerations afforded climbers at work on the job.

What makes blokes who climb for a livin one bit more precious than a fellow treeworker feedin a WTC on the job August?

Bixler, anybody?.

What's all this aerial rescue about when Martin died alone, without breaking any industry rule except makin a mistake performing a hazardous task?

Climber's are industry sanctioned prima donnas who look silly in tights anyways!

There's a bloody aspect of this biz that's kinda hard to ignore if you do it long enough.

Personally I like a lot of groundies better than most the climbers I know!

I found the Bix interview vid frustrating on the one handing issue between the two of you. It's never done without reason by a pro. Which means he was performing some other vital task with the other hand, catching a branch, maintaining an upright orientation by holding onto your upper TIP bodyline?

Lots of valid reasons to one hand a saw under certain circumstances aloft.

Bix is a greenhorn mate, but he's gettin better, and less outrageous with age.

Jomoco:001_smile:[/

"What makes blokes who climb for a livin one bit more precious than a fellow treeworker feedin a WTC on the job August?"

Your passion for the subject is honorable and warranted. You'll get no argument from me on that subject. Although it seems as if you expect one for some reason. The most experienced and valued person on my crew is my lead ground man. By saying that I am not saying that his life is more important than my climbers, I am just saying when times get lean he's the last one to lay off. He is Mexican. His name is Samuel Rodriguez. He is an incredible human being and a great friend. Just like you, I value human life. I hope you help implement the changes you would like to see. If you would like, you can speak to my viewers through an interview if you get up this way.

Yes, I know Bixler is a greenhorn. I just love the guy and see a lot of potential in him. We have some things in common artistically speaking and otherwise.

Live to inspire.

So what's your preferred method of bracing yourself way out on a lateral branch with a good upper TIP August?

You're gonna butt hitch the very tip and catch it. You know you're going to take a fairly serious dynamic ride.

Do you grasp and hold onto the catch limb your lanyard's around? Or push against it with one or both hands in an effort to create a stable triangle that moves as one until the branch quits moving?

You'd be surprised how many hold and hug, and how many push to triangulate.

This is something that'd be cool to illustrate in slo mo in a removal vid mate.

You a pusher or hugger August, when takin extreme rides?

Jomoco

Most of my moves are instinctive at this point. Haven't thought much about exactly how I do what I do. I just do. I may do a little bit of everything. I guess I will have to watch the replay. When training younger guys, I encourage them to climb higher and take smaller pieces and minimize dynamics whenever possible.

Live to inspire.

• 3 weeks later...

Very true August, me too.

Hi guys, thanks for watching the interview, we had a good time with it. It was great to finally meet August in person. I look forward to doing more work together in the future.

Bixler's tempting fate by not comin clean bouta whole tree chipper fatality he was interviewed about, on the job.

Do right by your fellow treeworkers Bixler!

Every climber's nagging fear is to brain a groundie below them.

Jomoco

Jon are you loosing it or something? Your perception is far from the truth.

Coming clean? ... LOL.

What are you talking about!?

Welcome to the forum Bixler - good to have you here.

I sense you and Jomoco have some history - that's all good but I would ask that if there is stuff that is not directly related to the thread topics you guys discuss it off-forum. We try to keep Arbtalk a laid back and informative place, I'm sure you will both understand that.