what funghi? and more.

sean

First one looks like an immature G. resinacium, although the globule on shot 2 may indicate Inonotus dryadeus, although as host is Red Oak, I'd plumb for resi.

Beautiful fracture, we can only attempt to mimic & just keep practicing :001_smile:

P7160004.JPG.a9599ace5d08ba515f69decefef7badc.JPG

DSC01239.JPG.6b8a57cd5cab07352706ea41e3c5414e.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D

There's a photo of Inonotus dryadeus on a Red Oak on the AIE site though.

Yeah, I know the shot you're on about, but I'm basing the nod toward resi, on about three or four we've had on Red Oak that have turned out to be resi.

Can you get back to get a shot of yours later, Sean?

Have you seen this thread regarding young FBs of I. dryadeus v G. resinaceum? - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/7649-fungi.html

My money is on the Ganoderma too, I'll look forward to an update once it's developed a bit more.:001_smile:

What's the story with the slight incursion into the root protection area of the lime?

I went to a clients house to do a reduction on a large bay tree....he had applied to fell but was consequently turned down. This Lime tree was in his front garden...the guy is an arse! So tempted to take this further. What do you think?

This Lime tree was in his front garden...the guy is an arse! So tempted to take this further. What do you think?

I think he dosen't have much idea about trees.:001_smile:

Assuming it's not TPO'd or in a Conservation Area then I think it's up to the owner if he wants to retain a tree, but remove most of it's roots...

Given that he's not familiar with trees and their need for roots, I'd try to inform him as best I could. I'd point out that the tree might not survive and if it does, it'll look a little sparse for a while and it's likely to be vulnerable to fungal attack. Also I'd suggest that it might fall over, because a high percentage of its support roots have been cut - obviously a particular concern if its got a full canopy.

I'd probably suggest that he considers removing the tree now because it does look very close to that nice old wall, not to mention the new structure that's being built on top of the roots. I'd be concerned about secondary thickening of the stem and butress roots on the old wall.

I'd suggest he plants a new tree a little further away, where it could be retained in the longer term.

He'd either be sensible / interested enough to take the advice, or he'd ignore it, either way it's his tree and wall.

I went to a clients house to do a reduction on a large bay tree....he had applied to fell but was consequently turned down. This Lime tree was in his front garden...the guy is an arse! So tempted to take this further. What do you think?

I would make sure he has your number and leave it, when we get the next bout of gales he will probably call you :001_smile:

I think he dosen't have much idea about trees.:001_smile:

Assuming it's not TPO'd or in a Conservation Area then I think it's up to the owner if he wants to retain a tree, but remove most of it's roots...

Given that he's not familiar with trees and their need for roots, I'd try to inform him as best I could. I'd point out that the tree might not survive and if it does, it'll look a little sparse for a while and it's likely to be vulnerable to fungal attack. Also I'd suggest that it might fall over, because a high percentage of its support roots have been cut - obviously a particular concern if its got a full canopy.

I'd probably suggest that he considers removing the tree now because it does look very close to that nice old wall, not to mention the new structure that's being built on top of the roots. I'd be concerned about secondary thickening of the stem and butress roots on the old wall.

I'd suggest he plants a new tree a little further away, where it could be retained in the longer term.

He'd either be sensible / interested enough to take the advice, or he'd ignore it, either way it's his tree and wall.

It's definately in a conservation area and i'd be very surprised if it didn't have a TPO on it. He knows he shouldn't be doing it!