HSE SIM Tree Hazard Management Doc

Amelanchier

Not sure if everybody is aware of this document. It was released recently in the wake of certain court cases in a pretty stealthy manner. Just gives you an insight in the how HSE is instructing its inspectors to veiw tree hazard management.

The HSE is adament that its not intended to be used as guidance, but I know many tree managers that doing just that. Creating their own best practice, if you will. Forcing the HSE's hand.

Definatley worth becoming familiar with.

HSE Management of the risk from falling trees.pdf

They will only ever investigate accidents they cant do routine check ups there will never be the man power. So if i read it right just keep every thing as safe as is feasable in the situation.

I thought they already do this makes sense. But if they keep adding ledgislation then the job will one day be impossible to make any good money.

Ah, not just keep the risk as low as reasonable practicable but prove you've done it. Thats where chaps like me earn our crusts.

This isn't legislation though. Just a hint of best practice.

Most small companys wont take the time to proove they are safe unless its law and checked up on. But i dont see it working as how can you check every one.

Im just trying to work out exaclty what you mean before you start a job in the morning have hse come give you the thumbs up dont see that one.

If you have an accident then of course you should have to proove you took every caution i totally agree but how do you proove that.:wave:

telhol. You have the wrong end of the sitck. It is nothing to do with contractors.

Basically, it is to do with inspection frequency of public and roadside trees. There was a huge thread on the UKTC about this. Very interesting reading and opinons from many people with lots of different agendas.

If anything it is likely that a higher rate of tree inspection will lead to an increase in tree maintenance works. This will mean you may have more work, not less.

However this sentance "Duty holders should not be encouraged to fell or prune trees unnecessarily." is indicative that the HSE do not want every highway and public park tree in the country on its side as a way of the "Duty holder" entirely mitgating the risk.

Jonathan

I hear ya .

Thats good because more contractors will be looking at that type of work while us little firms do the private work could work well. but if to many trees are overpruned we could face killing off alot of the industry.

I think tree works will have a limit one day every tree will need tpo permission we need to preserve the trees now before this becomes a problem.

Hey who knows these things:wave:

Indeed.

Also there are concerns that organisations with limited budgets will spend so much on tree inspections that they will have to cut back on tree works! So they'll have stacks of paperwork telling them how dangerous their trees are and no money to do anything about it!

Ah yes, Mr Brown is managing to implement his methods to all our countries infrastructure,it doesn't mater if bad things happen so long as they can say they knew about it and had a good reason for not acting.