Keeping bees amongst the trees

SteveA

I've been building a Warre hive and have been thinking about positioning it at the edge of our woods in the dappled light.

Anyone else keeping bees?

Here's my unfinished Warre:

[ATTACH]155656[/ATTACH]

image.jpg.2a17b88507bacd33d8a0de484e0d7a4c.jpg

Edited by SteveA

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are five years in to bee keeping, Mrs Mac has really taken to it done a couple of the modules for her Master Beekeepers and loves it.

Ours are on the edge of the garden close to trees. Dappled light is ok as long as the woods aren't damp and the trees don't drip onto the hives too much as they don't like dampness

Yes mine are in a National Steve. Positioned in the edge of a woodland. They are on a high spot and in a little bit of a clearing though. There aren't any branches over hanging to drip on them and they can get a bit of sun. They seem to be quite happy there.

I have 2 of my own shallow nationals and at work I have 8 hives 6 national and 2 WBC,

We keep 2 on a Heath 2 in park 4 in an orchard.

My own are on the edge of a wood to get shelter and sun

Picked up 4 swarms so far this year, 1 might have been my own:blushing:

I have bait hives out all over the place, old hive old comb and some lemon grass oil seems to work really well,

Have 2 supers on all hives at the mo, and if weather is good will take one off each and process some honey:thumbup:

Been hard few years for the bees, weather out of sync.

They are a bit addictive the more you learn the more you need to know!

Will try and get some pics up

Yes there is so much to learn & such a range of opinion from what's right/wrong!

eg, non-treatment for varroa vs full scale chemical warfare!!

I'm looking to pop a bunch of warre hives on our plot and pretty much leave them to it, just going in once or twice a year.

Of course, my National beekeeping friends think I'm mad!!

I'm undecided if I should position my hives in amongst the trees, on the edge or in the open.... considering our recent prolonged rainfall I wonder if it might be less damp in the woods??

Re: Bait hives; I've got one up at the moment with no takers, It's got lemongrass oil in it as well. Have you had bees in yours?

Be good to see any photos. Cheers, steve

No takers on the bait hives yet this year but loads of scouts even today!

I had a hive that I forgot to put the insulation above the metal lid over the winter and it got loads of condensation a and was dripping wet, they survived and will take honey next week so I think they are hardier than we think.

As for leaving them to get on with it- I'm a big fan of not interfering and unnecessary fiddling! See what happens?

Every bee keeper has their own opinions and thinks they are right, it's only the bees that are right!

What's different about the warre hive?

No takers on the bait hives yet this year but loads of scouts even today!

I had a hive that I forgot to put the insulation above the metal lid over the winter and it got loads of condensation a and was dripping wet, they survived and will take honey next week so I think they are hardier than we think.

As for leaving them to get on with it- I'm a big fan of not interfering and unnecessary fiddling! See what happens?

Every bee keeper has their own opinions and thinks they are right, it's only the bees that are right!

What's different about the warre hive?

Sounds like you have strong bees there mate :thumbup:

The Warre is smaller than the National (300mm x 300mm x 210mm deep) and just has top bars at the top of each box, so the bees build their own comb.... it is supposed to be closer to what bees do in nature, using hollow trees, etc.

Only need to inspect the Warre 1 to 3 times a year, so the hive can maintain temperature/ humidity easier. There's also a quilt box on the top filled with sawdust to help the hive breathe & for insulation; not sure if Nationals also have a quilt box?

I decided to put viewing windows on mine to have an occassional peep to see if they are doing okay without having to take the hive apart. Cheers, steve