pick up for 10k, but what

carpenter1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent 8 hours in a 14 reg Navara yesterday; not good. Noisy, and underpowered. Didn't feel like 190PS altho hasn't run-in yet. Reversing camera was nice. Leather seats gave me back ache. Engine turning at 2000 rpm at 60 mph in 6th - strikes me as a bit low geared.

You cant beat a long term test drive. Too much to take in on a quick spin round the block. Pick ups are commercial vehicles and once the springs have bed in ( about 6000 miles ) you can end up with a choppy noisey ride. Probably why people spend 40k on a disco van and wait 12 months for delivery. The are for and against in everything if you not had a pickup in a business may be worth hiring one for a week.

I had a hilux mk4 on hire for 3 months while I waited for the fantastic navara d22 to arrive, on paper even the new mk5 was poor against the nissan. But the Nissan was total rubbish and the Hilux with 200k on the clock was great.

I spent last week driving a 1 year old l200. On the face of it was quite a nice vehicle, towed reasonably well and nice quiet drive but the clutch, you couldn't back the trailer up more than 20meters without it stinking. I very rarely smell the clutch on my defender no matter now much I'm towing or manouvering.

I've had a double cab navara for a couple of years without any problems. I don't use it as a work truck full time but it has hauled a fair few loads of birch out of the forest and general pickup type transport jobs without complaining.

Best part is that is it very comfortable inside, drives well and gets better MPG than my Civic used to.

Mine is an 07 euro 3 emissions version, the later euro 4 isn't as good on fuel apparently.

When it comes to replacing it the Isuzu is on my list for the towing capacity and from memory it is the only one that takes a tacho as a plug and play option (?). I have a feeling that it might be more robust than the Nav too but that depends entirely on what you are looking to do with it.

After 7 years mine must be nicely worn in then as I don't have any issues even after a long run!

Only outstanding issue I have with mine is the A/C radiator needs replacing, I haven't got round to doing it yet and I'm refusing to pay what my Nissan dealer is demanding.

Any one been in the steed?

Had a look at one when ordering D Max. Hell of a lot of truck for your money. If I was buying trucks as company vehichles for employees to use, would buy them. For me, I need to get used to the brand and brand recognition first.

They are starting to gain ground in SA. We have some on the farm with no problems being reported by my brother yet.

Had a look at one when ordering D Max. Hell of a lot of truck for your money. If I was buying trucks as company vehichles for employees to use, would buy them. For me, I need to get used to the brand and brand recognition first.

They are starting to gain ground in SA. We have some on the farm with no problems being reported by my brother yet.

So if I stretched my budget may be,

Or save for a few months

Any other view's?