• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a pickup, about 10k to spend

But what?

I think double cab

Thoughts and ideas please

Ranger or Isuzu look no further.double cab if it's your only vehicle or have family. Single cab more room but not family friendly.

I would love new dmax isuzu, but cant stretch that far

What are the older models like?

Ya you would need more then 10 k for a d-max. Am a ranger man my self but Would't have brought a new one over last 4or5 years. The early models were very good then build quality dipped but now very good again. For 10 k you could pick a good truck up.just what takes your fancy. Always thought the Isuzu looks and drives well.my next truck May be Isuzu but my ranger is really good.:thumbup:

I would love new dmax isuzu, but cant stretch that far

What are the older models like?

I have had an 06 3l rodeo since November and it's brilliant. Bags of power, comfortable and great road manners and handling for its size. After purchasing this one I don't think I would ever want to change

Forget the double cab!!! I have one and will never have another. Single cab - likewise, can't recline the seat enough...

EXTRA-CAB is the answer. Everyone I know who's got a new pickup over the last 6 years at least has gone down the extra/super/extended/club cab route. As much space in the back as no wasted space under seats and the tub on a new hilux extra-cab is as big as the one on the old single cab...

win win with extra cab imo.

I need a pickup, about 10k to spend

But what?

I think double cab

Thoughts and ideas please

with 10k to spend I would be really tempted to push it that little bit further and get something new with warranty. Modern diesels are an absolute nightmare and it does not take long to eat through 4k when an engine goes tits.

I would spend 3 or 4k on a good mk4 hilux and put the rest of the money aside for something more useful. I am on my fourth hilux now and have managed to turn a small profit on everyone, with very minimal running costs. However old or rough there is always a market abroad giving you a guaranteed sale should you need it. Most of all they are ultra reliable up to mk 5 anyway, I had a mk 6 for a year and didn't think the build quality was as good but sold it for what I paid for it after 12000 miles, 1 service and just escaped giving it an mot. The only thing I would upgrade to would be a landcruiser. Im sure however Isuzus and rangers are also good trucks but have no experience with them myself. I must admit the hilux isn't the best for towing so if you do a lot maybe not the best choice but I would happily drive mine to china tomorrow with absolute confidence.

with 10k to spend I would be really tempted to push it that little bit further and get something new with warranty. Modern diesels are an absolute nightmare and it does not take long to eat through 4k when an engine goes tits.

Go for what?

And roughly what money do I need

Go for what?

And roughly what money do I need

I am in the same position as you. Bought a d4 before christmas with 60k on the clock 3 years old just out of warranty. Paid 19k+ vat since then its consumed over 3k in repairs/tyres etc in 10,000 miles.

If you dont tow much I would go for bottom of the range double cab hilux for £16k + vat. It has most of the features of the top of the range £28k one but simpler and more reliable and probably better on fuel. Same, body, axles, springs.

2.5 litre engine which is reviewed as nearly as good as the 3.0. Manual box which will be more reliable. Black plastic bumpers and mirrors cheaper when you beat them off. Looks like you are going to work rather than cutting hair.

If you have 10k cash to spend finance the rest it will be cheaper in the long run and you know the vehicle has been treated well from day one. If you need to finance the lot go for a £6000 hilux mk5