18v drills

carpenter1

There is a new Hitachi out now with 5ah batteries and mega torque too. Might be worth a look. If have an older hitachi which is pretty good, also got a AEG from BandQ of all places with 2x 3ah lion batteries for £150. Drills a 20mm auger into gateposts no problem. Thought that was quite a good deal. Will probably try the makita next on the back of all these threads.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As plant fitters/fabricators on the road and in the workshop we get through a reasonable amount of cordless power tools and have tried most makes, Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Metabo, Snap-On etc etc. We currently are on Milwaukee 18v and I must say the drill is the best cordless I have ever used. The power, chuck and build quality are just unreal. The 1/2" impact gun is a fair tool too and the batteries are getting better with use but I think the Snap-On gun still has it licked.

Milwaukee drill is just awesome though. We also have cordless grinders from Milwaukee. Good kit.

As plant fitters/fabricators on the road and in the workshop we get through a reasonable amount of cordless power tools and have tried most makes, Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Metabo, Snap-On etc etc. We currently are on Milwaukee 18v and I must say the drill is the best cordless I have ever used. The power, chuck and build quality are just unreal. The 1/2" impact gun is a fair tool too and the batteries are getting better with use but I think the Snap-On gun still has it licked.

Milwaukee drill is just awesome though. We also have cordless grinders from Milwaukee. Good kit.

Milwaukee are rebranded atlas copco, happened in about 2002-2003 or rather the new name for them one of the two.

... alot of people are now choosing the new milwaukee fuel line as there meant to be brilliant ...

... We currently are on Milwaukee 18v and I must say the drill is the best cordless I have ever used. ...

I have recently bought a Milwaukee 18v cordless impact wrench and have to agree it is a brilliant tool. The battery life is amazing, it is as far as I know the most powerful battery cordless impact wrench in the world (though not as powerful as my Master 35 petrol wrench!) and the build quality seems to be very high indeed. Everything about the tool seems well-thought-out and well built, it is just feels "right".

On the basis of this I have already decided that as other cordless tools need replacing I will be going over to the Milwaukee 18v "FUEL" compatible tools.

I have recently bought a Milwaukee 18v cordless impact wrench and have to agree it is a brilliant tool. The battery life is amazing, it is as far as I know the most powerful battery cordless impact wrench in the world

You mean the impact driver screwy thing or a 1/2" drive impact gun/nut-runner etc? If the latter then they won't look at our Snap-On guns but I must admit they are very good considering the weight, or lack of it.

It happened before 2005 and they were identical to the atlas copco models and they stopped selling the atlas copco version at the same time, I know because I had the ac version.

To the best of my knowledge the A-C version was a re-badged Milwaukee, not the other way round. Atlas-Copco bought the Milwaukee Electric Tool Company in 1995 from it's second owner - third if you include the founder. Sold about ten years later to Techtronic who also own AEG and Ryobi.

Milwaukee does seem to have hung onto its heritage and quality though.

To the best of my knowledge the A-C version was a re-badged Milwaukee, not the other way round. Atlas-Copco bought the Milwaukee Electric Tool Company in 1995 from it's second owner - third if you include the founder. Sold about ten years later to Techtronic who also own AEG and Ryobi.

Milwaukee does seem to have hung onto its heritage and quality though.

Fair enough, can't say I had ever heard of Milwaukee before 2002-2003 but I knew they were linked because they were identical to the ac ones. And I know it was pre 2005 because I stopped going to the ag. Dealer where I saw them pre 2005.

You mean the impact driver screwy thing or a 1/2" drive impact gun/nut-runner etc? If the latter then they won't look at our Snap-On guns but I must admit they are very good considering the weight, or lack of it.

1/2" drive impact wrench.

There haev been problems with bearings and triggers on some of the recent Snap On ones, or so I have heard. Personally I think the two makes are neck-and-neck on quality and durability but Milwaukee wins on price (no doubt this is why the Snap On are so often on special offer).

Milwaukee was hardly known at all in the UK until it took over Kango a good few years ago. Recently Milwaukee seems to have really upped the quality of its tools to become a serious contender.