T540xp tuning and mods

Tom@JPU

Does it really matter about warrenty?

If you found a 'decent' saw for 300-350 it would only take a couple of days or so to pay for itself.

Ive had some older saws that i should have never sold! 2005 200 and it did loads of work and would still be running now i wager if i still had it.

Just buy one and get on with work :thumbup:

It's the fact that for £150 more I can get a brand new saw with 2 years warrenty and in theory a 4-6 year old saw is going to need some work doing on it in 2 years time which the warrenty on a new saw will cover this for free theirs a good chance the work on the older 200 could be a new pot and piston replacement, carb issues and main bearing issues this saw will be knocking on for 8 years after my initial 2 year ownership all this will cost more than the £500+ I paid for the 540 so when I come to sell the 540 I haven't spent a fortune and maybe just maybe stihl or husquvarna have put out a decent top handle, which I can put this money I've received from the 540 towards a better saw which in theory should cost me nothing on repairs. These 200's are mainly used by professionals so they've been worked.

My other theory is why on earth are people selling them when they're still the best saw going, something must be wrong or they're prempting a big issue with the saw

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the fact that for £150 more I can get a brand new saw with 2 years warrenty and in theory a 4-6 year old saw is going to need some work doing on it in 2 years time which the warrenty on a new saw will cover this for free theirs a good chance the work on the older 200 could be a new pot and piston replacement, carb issues and main bearing issues this saw will be knocking on for 8 years after my initial 2 year ownership all this will cost more than the £500+ I paid for the 540 so when I come to sell the 540 I haven't spent a fortune and maybe just maybe stihl or husquvarna have put out a decent top handle, which I can put this money I've received from the 540 towards a better saw which in theory should cost me nothing on repairs. These 200's are mainly used by professionals so they've been worked.

My other theory is why on earth are people selling them when they're still the best saw going, something must be wrong or they're prempting a big issue with the saw

Its only one year for pro users I believe and build quality issues are not covered, in fact most problems will be blamed on you and you'll end up paying.

Its only one year for pro users I believe and build quality issues are not covered, in fact most problems will be blamed on you and you'll end up paying.

It's 2 years for a husky I asked a few times when I got my 560 and I've had work done for free on coming to end of the 2 years warrenty on it

They are a major step down, IMO, the 540 has the power, but its made from plasticine, mine is 6 months old, the fuel tank is leaking, the side cover fits poorly, the chain tensioner is poor, the rear av spring is shot and the top handle is folding where the switches and trigger are. Mine also runs poorly, cutting out when hung on the harness and often cutting out for no reason.

OK the the 201 lacks power, but IMO is better built than the 540 (I had a 201 for 6 months or so before it was stolen) I have just bought another 201, I can accommodate the lack of power, adjusting my cutting methods accordingly.

I just need a saw thats predictable and will at least hold together.

Hey sky do you often leave the 540 ticking over i have found exsesive idleing on auto tune saw have An adverse ecect on there running . I have Changed my ways since we got auto tune saws ,If its not cutting its off now i have not used our 540 for long but have thuroughly enjoyed useing it so far

They are a major step down, IMO, the 540 has the power, but its made from plasticine, mine is 6 months old, the fuel tank is leaking, the side cover fits poorly, the chain tensioner is poor, the rear av spring is shot and the top handle is folding where the switches and trigger are. Mine also runs poorly, cutting out when hung on the harness and often cutting out for no reason.

OK the the 201 lacks power, but IMO is better built than the 540 (I had a 201 for 6 months or so before it was stolen) I have just bought another 201, I can accommodate the lack of power, adjusting my cutting methods accordingly.

I just need a saw thats predictable and will at least hold together.

Completely agree :thumbup1: and Tom I think that tenner is mine it's just a matter of time mate:001_tongue:

as mentioned above, the 540's seem to be made of plastercine! had one since October last year and its on its 3rd handle and even then this one has been taped up! the second handle broke after falling out of a small magnolia bush! Currently in being fixed after it was accidently dropped off a wall :blushing: fair enough that it didn't survive that one! but when its here working I love it and much prefer over a 201