Semi pro saw choice

StuartM

The MS391 you suggested costs the same as a 550xp and 555, and has a lesser build quality. The 555 is the better choice by far with more power and nearly 2lbs less weight. This, I am sure, you would find difficult to deal with. Without Stihl's policies that protect it's dealers with inflated prices on homeowner saws, the Husqvarnas are the better choice for the consumer. The OP included.

The MS 311 and 391 are just large and over heavy "homeowner" saws, nowhere close to "semi-pro" saws.

Stihl doesn't make any semi-pro saws, and haven't since the MS341 (and that one wasn't offered on all markets).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently bought a 560XP to replace my elderly Husky 50 which is presently undergoing surgery. Both have an 18 inch bar.

Was going to have a 550 but could not get one locally, but the 560 while a bit heavier has loads more grunt than the 50. Flies through big stuff when ringing up.

You do have to learn the start technique, I have mastered the cold start just about but not the hot start yet.

I am by no means a pro, I use the saw when processing logs for the firewood side of my business and a bit of odd woodland work on the farm. Maybe 30-40 days a year.

A

Take a look in the manual, it sometimes helps! :001_smile:

"Stihl doesn't make any semi-pro saws, and haven't since the MS341"

No, this was considered to be a pro saw and ran alongside the MS361 for a time. It was dropped because the machines were to close to one another . The MS271,291 and 391 are all semi pro saws for Farms, Estates and Landscapers. The latter as I say is very popular.

The 341 was a downtuned 361 (smaller carb, nothing else), completely identical otherwise. From memory 4 vs 4.6 hp. I could never understand the point; why would you have a 341 when it would leave you wondering about having more power? Surely not a few quid?

Marketing is finding new niches to sell products to. At it's finest, it is creating a niche that doesn't even need to exist, and then convincing a consumer that it is a product they must have.

Husqvarna are not immune. In fact, they have it mastered even better than STIHL with their 555 and 365xt as slightly detuned pro saws at the factory.