Toughest strimmer line?

bggc

Has anybody got any long lasting tough 1.6mm strimmer line they would recommend?

I only use it on my Stihl FS 50 strimmer for edging. For years I used the blue ALM line which was surprisingly tough for cheap stuff but the last batch I bought was a slightly lighter blue and barely lasted half as long. I then bought genuine Stihl 1.6mm line thinking it would last longer but again, no good.

Some of the American guys recommend Arnold Extreme and Echo Crossfire as professional grade line. Does anybody have experience of these lines or any other type they have found tough and long lasting? I am tempted by some of the cheap stuff on eBay but if it needs replacing every farts end then I know from my own experience it only increases the money sapping downtime.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Has anybody got any long lasting tough 1.6mm strimmer line they would recommend?

I only use it on my Stihl FS 50 strimmer for edging. For years I used the blue ALM line which was surprisingly tough for cheap stuff but the last batch I bought was a slightly lighter blue and barely lasted half as long. I then bought genuine Stihl 1.6mm line thinking it would last longer but again, no good.

Some of the American guys recommend Arnold Extreme and Echo Crossfire as professional grade line. Does anybody have experience of these lines or any other type they have found tough and long lasting? I am tempted by some of the cheap stuff on eBay but if it needs replacing every farts end then I know from my own experience it only increases the money sapping downtime.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

The stuff made by Desert Extrusions is very good . Try keeping your line in a bucket of water as long as you can . Its hygroscopic and this makes it less brittle ...

I don't rate Desert Extrusions as any tougher then the Stihl stuff, and as the Stihl stuff is cheaper....

Will your FS50 manage to swing 2.4mm? I tried 2mm line once for edging, hoping for a sharper cut, but it was hopeless. 1.6mm sounds too thin if you are having to run along concrete etc.

Stubby is correct re the bucket of water trick, but you shouldn't have to. You might want to give ALM another try, you can get bad batches. I once threw 2/3rds of a big reel of Stihl 2.4mm away as it was a bad batch.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've never heard of the water 'trick' before so I'll certainly give that a try!

As regarding the larger diameter line, I run my FS 100's with 2.4mm line and use the 1.6mm for strimming around ranch fencing and edging as it's less destructive and the potential for shooting any stones is less, unlike the FS100's which on a week to week basis can destroy the wooden ranch fencing no matter how you try to keep your distance, just the odd nick now and again will eat away the timber over a few seasons. Also, the power of the FS100's can send the smallest of stones like a bullet hence the FS 50 is lighter on performance all round. As a strimmer I don't think much of it compared to similar category strimmers I've used in the past, this is endorsed by the lads who use it and also other local firms who bought them, hence they are mainly consigned to edging duties only!

If you're strimming round ranch fencing, you need to make sure your lads know the throttle is not an on/off switch. That's all there is too it really, but some of them just don't get it. Drives me nuts.

I think you're worrying a bit much here- if the thinner stuff wears out twice as quick, that's a good sign that the trade off you make to preserve your posts is working :lol:

That trade off was too much for me, so I went back to 2.4mm and find it fine for 'tickling' off grass around posts.

Another great tip is to staple on a ring of black plastic around the bottom- well worth the small investment in time.

One smashed £85 French door toughened glass window on a fortnightly £15 grass cutting job was the only reason needed for a trade off really!

I'm with you on the plastic around the posts idea, it's one I considered myself.

One smashed £85 French door toughened glass window on a fortnightly £15 grass cutting job was the only reason needed for a trade off really!

I'm with you on the plastic around the posts idea, it's one I considered myself.

oh yes . I have been that soldier ......:thumbdown:

If you're strimming round ranch fencing, you need to make sure your lads know the throttle is not an on/off switch. That's all there is too it really, but some of them just don't get it. Drives me nuts.

I think you're worrying a bit much here- if the thinner stuff wears out twice as quick, that's a good sign that the trade off you make to preserve your posts is working :lol:

That trade off was too much for me, so I went back to 2.4mm and find it fine for 'tickling' off grass around posts.

Another great tip is to staple on a ring of black plastic around the bottom- well worth the small investment in time.

+1 have to agree i use 3mm in my honda and i go againts frnce panels headstones and etc its the throttle jocky i can strim againts headstones and can cut grass down short not leaving a mark on the stones or panels. just do not use full power. so using thinner stuff go with thicker line and ease up on the throttle. find you will use less line and still do a good job as quick.